We are disheartened by the reports of thefts in our residence halls following Hurricane Ida. Beyond financial loss, we recognize that these thefts represent a violation of personal space, comfort and trust. In the aftermath of Hurricane Ida, our goal was to assess and repair residence halls in order to return our students to their campus homes. This included contracting with several companies experienced in damage assessment and remediation. It is apparent that during the assessment and remediation process, an individual or individuals took advantage of the emergency situation.
We are deeply sorry for our students’ losses and that our recovery process did not protect everyone’s belongings. As part of our ongoing review of emergency protocols, we are developing strategies to avoid such a situation in the future.
All reports of theft should follow the following process:
- Students are required to file a report with the Tulane University Police Department by calling (504) 865-5381. Reports must be submitted by Wednesday, October 6, 2021.
- TUPD will conduct an investigation.
- Beginning Monday, October 4, students will be contacted to upload appropriate documentation of ownership (receipts, credit card statements, photographs of missing items, etc.)
- Once the investigation is complete and documentation has been provided, students will sign a statement with the Office of Insurance & Risk Management releasing all future claims related to this incident.
- Payouts on claims will begin the week of October 18.
All reports must be filed with TUPD by Wednesday, October 6, 2021.
All supporting documentation must be provided by Friday, November 12 at 5:00 p.m. CST. After that date, documentation will not be accepted. To submit documentation, students must reply with attachments to the email they receive from Tulane Campus Services.