1834 The Medical College of Louisiana is founded in New Orleans by seven young doctors.
1847 The state legislature establishes the University of Louisiana.
1847 The Medical College of Louisiana becomes the Medical Department of the University of Louisiana.
1847 The University of Louisiana adds a law department, the 12th such department in the United States.
1851 An academic department for men opens. Its first students are enrolled — 12 freshmen and two sophomores.
1861 The university closes its doors because of the Civil War. Classes resume in 1865.
1882 Paul Tulane donates extensive real estate in New Orleans for the support of education. A Board of Administrators of the Tulane Educational Fund is appointed and holds its first meeting. The board decides to support and incorporate with the University of Louisiana rather than create a separate institution.
1884 The Louisiana Legislature passes a bill transferring the University of Louisiana at New Orleans to the control of the Administrators of the Tulane Educational Fund, thus creating the Tulane University of Louisiana, a private, nonsectarian university.
1885 The university establishes a graduate division, later to become the Graduate School.
1886 Newcomb College is established within Tulane University. Josephine Louise Newcomb gave the gifts to found the college in memory of her daughter, Harriott Sophie Newcomb.
1894 The university organizes the College of Technology, which later will become the School of Engineering.
1894 The university moves to its uptown campus on St. Charles Avenue, five miles by streetcar from downtown New Orleans.
1894 The Newcomb Pottery is established.
1907 The College of Technology organizes an architecture department, which will evolve into the School of Architecture.
1912 The School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is established. It later merges with the College of Medicine.
1914 The College of Commerce is established. It is the first business school in the South and the forerunner of the A. B. Freeman School of Business.
1925 The Graduate School is established.
1927 The School of Social Work is established — the first in the Deep South.
1942 University College is founded as Tulane's division of continuing education.
1950 The Department of Architecture separates from the School of Engineering and becomes the School of Architecture.
1967 The School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is established.
1976 The Tulane Medical Center, a 300-bed teaching hospital and ambulatory clinic, opens.
1993 The name of the College of Arts and Sciences changes to Paul M. Tulane College and is referred to as Tulane College.
2005 The university cancels the fall semester because of Hurricane Katrina. Tulane University announces a bold renewal plan in December.
2006 Classes resume in the spring with 93 percent of all students returning to Tulane University after Hurricane Katrina.
2007 The university's incoming freshman class of 1,400 students is almost 60 percent larger than in 2006, marking the largest one-year increase in first-year students in the history of the university.
2010 "Tulane Empowers" begins, a campaign to build resources that will help people build a better world.
2014 Mike Fitts is named the 15th President of Tulane University.
2017: The School of Continuing Studies relaunches as the School of Professional Advancement (SoPA) with a renewed focus on working adults, career advancement, and applied and innovative programs that are relevant to the workplace.
2017: "Only the Audacious: The campaign for an ever bolder Tulane" begins. This is the university's most ambitious fundraising campaign to date — with a goal of raising $1.3 billion.