Patient flow; application of quantitative decision models and financial analysis to health systems resource allocation; clinical decision analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis
- PhD, management science (finance minor), Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- MS, industrial engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
- MPH, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- BS, mathematics, University of Miami, Miami, Florida
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Executive Doctor of Science 2009 Cohort, Health Systems Management
- Sarasota Memorial Health Care System Team Quality Award: Most Improvement Achieved in an Administrative/Non-Clinical Performance Improvement Project, 2008
- Best faculty member (for several cohorts), Tulane University, Executive Masters in Medical Management program
- Faculty Honor Roll, Tulane University School of Business
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honorary
- Delta Omega, Public Health Honorary
- U. S. Public Health Service Trainee
- Cum Laude Graduate
- Pi Mu Epsilon, Mathematics Honorary
- Panhellenic Scholar
- Tulane Scholars and Fellows
Selected Publications, Papers, and Posters:
Hoyt WJ Jr, Thomas PE, DeSena HC, Steinberg JS, Harmon DE, Snyder CS. Atrial fibrillation induction by transesophageal electrophysiology studies in patients with asymptomatic ventricular preexcitation. Congenit Heart Dis. 2013 Jan-Feb;8(1):57-61.
DeSena, HC, Steinberg, JS, and Snyder, C, "Cost Effectiveness Analysis of Transesophageal EP study vs. Transvenous EP Study in Risk Assessment of Asymptomatic Patients with Ventricular Pre-excitation", poster at Academy of Pediatrics meeting, Oct 2010
Patrice, JR, Patrice, S, Hayman, J. and Steinberg, J., "Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Radiotherapy When Added to Tamoxifen following Conservative Surgery in Older Women with Early-Stage Breast Cancer, presented at the 49th Meeting of the American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, Los Angeles, CA, Oct/Nov, 2007
Patrice, JR, Steinberg, JS, Zietman, A, Hayman, J, Smith, M and Patrice, S, "Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Post-Orthiectomy Surveillance, Radiotherapy, and Carboplatin in the Management of Stage 1 Testicular Seminoma", poster presented at the 42nd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Atlanta, GA, June 2006
Bailey WC, Steinberg JS, Brown M, Thompson DH, Ziskind M, Greenberg HB. Use of the brief MAST interview to detect alcoholics in a tuberculosis population. Health Services Reports 1973; 88:486-488.
Newell GR, Gordon JW, Steinberg JS, Monlezun AP. ABO blood groups and cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1974; 5(5): 1425-1430.
Steinberg JS and Montgomery DC. A computer simulation model of a rubella epidemic Computers in biology and medicine 1974; 4:189-198.
Warner DM, Steinberg JS, Brown M. A users guide to the strategic planning model for the Maryland Health Care System.
Steinberg JS and Arnold L. An interactive approach for optimizing debt repayment schedules. J Fin Res 1981; fall.
Warner DM, Steinberg JS, Brown M. A strategic planning model for multi-hospital systems. Inquiry 1981; fall.
Strasser S, Steinberg JS, Persels J, Cummins JG. Facilitators and obstacles to the use of evaluation research in hospital settings. Health Hosp Admin 1983.
Dr. Steinberg has worked as a management consultant on a wide range of hospital system process, nurse productivity and information system projects. She has taught internationally for Tulane in the Executive Master's of Medical Management Program both in Taiwan (for Taiwanese military physicians) and with INCAE (for Central American physicians) in Costa Rica as well as in Tulane's MPH Program for the Show Chwan Health Care System. Her teaching has been in the areas of quantitative decision models, management science, decision analysis, financial management of health institutions, information technology, management information systems, computer modeling and principles of health systems administration and management.
Her current research efforts are in the areas of improving patient flow, decision support systems, and cost effectiveness analysis.
Level of Instruction:
[ View all Global Health Management and Policy Faculty ]