2014 Public Health Summer Abroad Programs
The SPHTM offers several opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in various public health settings around the world. Please visit the summer travel program pages for detailed information about taking part in one of these amazing opportunities.
July 4 - July 30, 2014
This is a one-of-a-kind program that allows all students, regardless of their academic major or language abilities, to learn in person about the urban and rural health systems of China in Shanghai and Jinan. Some of the major topics of interest that will be covered are China's health system reform, the development of the rural Collaborative Medical System (CMS), HIV/AIDS programs and their progress, urban health insurance, disease control and prevention systems, and maternal and child healthcare systems.
The program will be based at the Shandong University School of Public Health in Jinan and the Fudan University in Shanghai. Students will also spend time studying in the cities of Beijing and Jinan. There will also be opportunities for sightseeing excursions to other areas in the region.
This program is open to graduate and undergraduate students from Tulane University, and qualified students from other universities are welcome to apply as well. Click here for application.
June 2 – July 25, 2014
Explore key issues affecting the heath of Suriname's population and ecosystem:
- Science, practice, and policy approaches to address public health issues affecting environmental and human health
- Important aspects of disaster management
- Medicinal characteristics of plants
- Risks of environmental contamination
- Role of the ecosystem as a vital component to community health
- Field Trips – overnight trip to the rainforest; see Guyanese dolphins; orchids and bird sanctuary
Please visit the Suriname summer program page for additional information.