New-Hire Staff Orientation
NEW HIRE ORIENTATION GUIDELINES
New Hire Orientation is held at Tulane University Square, 200 Broadway Street, New Orleans, 70118 (Courtyard entrance faces Leake Avenue). Each new employee will be notified by Workforce Management of the date, time and location for the orientation to be conducted. Orientations may be conducted individually or in group settings. View the schedule of New Hire Orientation dates >>
You will be required to bring documentation and complete forms prior to Orientation as outlined in the Required Documentation and Forms section.
An employee is not eligible to start work if for any reason they do not attend Orientation, complete and submit their paperwork at Orientation, or fails to bring essential original documentation to Orientation.
If you have any questions regarding New Hire Orientation, please contact the Workforce Management Team at 504-865-5280. We look forward to working with you and wish you every success with your career at Tulane University.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION AND FORMS
Employees are responsible for printing, completing, and bringing to Orientation, all essential forms and documentation listed below. These forms may be found at the Workforce Management Organization website, tulane.edu/wfmo/forms.
- Tulane Payroll/Personnel Information form
- W-4 Federal Tax Withholding form
- L-4 State Tax withholding form
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) Please bring documents as indicted in List A (such as a U.S. Passport) OR one from List B and List (such as a Driver's license or ID card and a U.S. Social Security Card.
- Direct Deposit Form Please bring a voided check or other banking information. It will be retained to show proof of your account.
- Employee Invention and Proprietary Information Agreement
- Second Injury Fund Memo (Signature Required)
- Second Injury Fund Questionnaire
- TU Benefits Link on Gibson Online (use your Tulane email user ID and password to log on). Your enrollment must be completed within 30 days of your date of hire.
- Conflict of Interest form The form will be automatically sent to you from the Compliance Office, via e-mail, once the hiring paperwork process has completed.
- On-line Sexual Harassment training. Currently is not available.
- Personal identification documentation such as a State Driver’s license or I.D. or U.S. Passport
- Relevant immigration documentation that indicates you eligibility to work in the United States.
- You will also be asked to complete Benefits enrollment forms, for example, health, life, and dental. If you already have health insurance coverage and are considering waiving Tulane’s health insurance, we require proof of other health insurance coverage. Please bring a copy of your health insurance ID card or other documentation of coverage.
- If you are planning to elect coverage for your family members please have their Social Security numbers available to have them enrolled. Having a copy of their Social Security card is preferred to ensure the accuracy of their Social Security number and avoid problems with enrollment.
Orientation time (approximately 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) Coffee and water is provided.
Friday – First Day of Employment
- Welcome to Tulane University
- Provide an overview /summary of the University:
- History of Tulane
- Organizational Structure
- Number of brief description of schools
- Number of faculty & staff and student
- Convey benefits and insurance information and get Payroll and Employment critical paperwork completed including: I9, W4, PPI, International—Foreign Nationals
- Key policies
- Where to find information
- Office of Institutional Equity (OIE)
- Disability Services/ Worker’s Compensation
- Points of interest and Where to find information
- Good to be TU benefits including Tulane Credit Union
- Environmental & Occupational Safety
- New Employee Checklist (please print this an bring it to Orientation)
- What to expect on 2nd day of employment i.e. Monday
- Orientation Checklist for Supervisor
- Discuss department standards, confidentiality and privacy issues
- Facility and work station location
- Attendance and punctuality standards, reporting of absences
- Payment of salary and problem reconciliation
- Time card completion, and review of timekeeping and reporting codes,
- Complaint & Grievance procedures.
- (Optional depending on nature of job)
Time spent at the Orientation Event is considered paid time so each employee’s time card should reflect the time as paid hours and coded appropriately.