Help A Friend
If your friend is a victim of robbery:
- Listen sympathetically and reassure your friend that you believe him/her.
- Don’t blame your friend even if his/her actions put them in harm’s way.
- Call the police and report the crime. If your friend is injured it is imperative that you seek help by calling TUPD (504) 865-5911 or 911 immediately. Reporting the crime may save someone else’s life.
- If possible, encourage your friend to recall specific details of the event. Your friend may be able to provide the police with information that will lead to the criminal’s arrest.
- Because victims often blame themselves, tell your friend repeatedly that it is not their fault.
- Discourage your friend from seeking revenge.
- Help your friend access Tulane University resources. This is an important step to assure their physical and emotional well-being. University professionals are available to help both you and your friend process what happened. If you think your friend needs help but won’t tell anyone, please contact a university professional and tell them what happened.
Note on confidentiality.