Immediate Help / Reporting


Lavin Bernick Center
Garden Level
Suite G02
(504) 314-2160 


Student Affairs - Inspiring Student Success


Help A Friend

If you are concerned that a friend has experienced hazing, you can make a big difference by helping him or her. It is likely that your friend is confused on how to handle the situation. They may feel torn between being loyal to the group they are trying to belong and their own well-being. Your support is important in helping your friend make decisions on what they should do and where to turn to seek additional help.

How to talk with a friend about your concern:

  • Set aside a time to talk in private and tell them that you are concerned.
  • Describe what you have observed (e.g., lack of sleep, changes in your friend’s mood, energy level, ability to do work).
  • Ask your friend what he or she had to do as part of joining the group.
  • If the person describes being hazed, underscore that hazing is wrong and that he or she doesn't have to go along with it.
  • Listen – and do not be judgmental. A lot can be gained by asking open ended questions that allow them to process their experiences. Examples may include; How do you feel about what happened? What will make you feel better? How can I help?
  • Let your friend know it’s okay to withdraw from an organization at any point.
  • Let your friend know what resources are available for support and reporting.
  • You can always schedule an appointment with a counselor at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) (504) 314-2277 for guidance on how to best help your friend. You can also schedule an appointment with the Office of Violence Prevention and Support Services or with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Programs.

Remember, you can also make an anonymous or confidential report to the Hazing Hotline (504) 862-3111 and/or call to speak to a professional staff member in the Office of Violence Prevention and Support Services (504) 314-2161 or Fraternity and Sorority Programs (504) 247-1531.


A Note On Confidentiality

If you are a victim of hazing we encourage you to seek immediate support.

  • If you have suffered an injury please seek medical attention immediately. You can access medical care during normal business hours at the Student Health Center. If you are on campus and need immediate assistance please call TUPD  at (504) 865-5911 (x5911), off campus dial 911.
  • For confidential counseling services contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) (504) 314-2277
  • For support and advocacy you can contact the Office of Violence Prevention and Support Services at 504-314-2161 or e-mail Julia Broussard, Coordinator of Violence Prevention and Support Services, at
  • You may also contact Liz Shafer, Director of Fraternity and Sorority Programs at (504) 247-1531 or for additional information and support.

Internet Resources

Division of Student Affairs, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-314-2188