Directions for Completion of Degree Requirements and Submission of Doctoral Dissertation and Masters Thesis
- Complete and submit the Application for Degree to the Dean’s Office by the appropriate semester deadline.
- Summer: June 15
- Fall: October 1
- Spring: February 1
- Complete dissertation/thesis as per program requirements and Guidelines for Thesis and Dissertation Preparation. Please note: the Graduate Programs office is happy to review electronic copies of your dissertation/thesis at any stage and answer any questions you may have about formatting.
- Set dissertation/thesis defense date with committee. Students should allow themselves ample time to defend their dissertation/thesis and complete any necessary revisions before the submission deadline. Upon successful defense, complete and have your committee sign the Oral Defense Approval Form. Turn this form into the Dean’s Office immediately following the dissertation/thesis defense.
- Complete any corrections to the dissertation/thesis as required by your committee.
- Submit one single-sided, unbound copy of the dissertation/thesis on 20 lb., 100% cotton, white, untextured, acid-free paper (we suggest Southworth Thesis paper) with original signed cover sheet and abstract to the Graduate Programs Office. (An abstract is not required for the masters thesis.) Make sure your left margin is 1 1/2" and the rest of your margins are 1". This will become the copy of record in the Tulane Library system.
- Submit electronic copies of your dissertation/thesis with committee signatures to ProQuest and the Tulane Library for official publication. This is REQUIRED. Students will pay ProQuest directly for copyrighting, if desired.
- PhD Students Only: Complete and submit the Survey of Earned Doctorates form electronically. Forward a copy of the confirmation email you receive to the Graduate Programs office.
PLEASE NOTE: Steps 5, 6, and 7, if applicable, must be completed in order for your degree to be certified. The deadlines for receipt of these items by the Dean’s Office are:
Summer and Fall - the last day of official classes for the semester
Spring - April 15, unless otherwise arranged with the Dean’s Office.