SSE Graduate Studies Committee
January 11, 2007
2:00 PM – 3:45 PM
Present: De Kee (ex-officio), Tasker (Chair), Cserjesi, Dyer, Fink, Gaver, Lockman, O’Connor, Perdew, Rosencrans, Schmehl, Guedry
- The template for a one page faculty CV; it was agreed that it would be re-sent to each department and these CVs will be put on the SSE website.
- Guedry’s attendance at nation wide graduate school fairs and the advantages of presence at recruiting fairs and national meetings.
- Campus visits
- Summer internships- the goal is to have various programs in place by summer 08
- The most effective recruiting strategies were identified. Departments are encouraged to implement these, if not already doing so, to ensure successful graduate recruiting.
The following is the list of the most effective graduate student recruiting strategies:
- Enhanced Website
- 1 page faculty CV on the web which emphasizes research activities
- Presence at national and local recruiting fairs, annual meetings, and other appropriate events
- Create a pipeline to current graduate students’ undergraduate institutions by:
- 1) graduate student visits to their undergraduate institution; and
- 2) send announcements of PhD students’ graduation to their undergraduate department (including dissertation title page, abstract, and copies of student publications)
- Send a list of top seniors to departments of peer universities asking for the same from them
- Invite prospective students for campus visits
- Telephone interviews with prospective students
- Internal departmental pre-application
- Distribute the graduate student recruiting package developed by the Provost’s Office which includes a poster, brochure and CD
- Place advertisements in journals, free internet services offered by Scientific Societies, undergraduate newspapers, and various other appropriate publications
- The section on the graduate application, “What source of information prompted you to apply to Tulane”, can be used to identify effective program promotions
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m.