Master of Science Degree

The M.S. degree emphasizes the enhancement of knowledge in the field of chemical engineering, above what is gained in the undergraduate curriculum.

For students completing a thesis, 24 hours of approved graduate course work are required (students who receive a graduate fellowship must complete a thesis). The full-time M.S. normally requires two years of full-time graduate study beyond the B.S. degree. With the approval of the department, part-time students may also select a non-thesis option which requires 30 credits of approved graduate course work. These courses must include three of the core graduate chemical engineering courses:

  • Transport Phenomena I
  • Transport Phenomena II
  • Advanced Reactor Design
  • Applied Thermodynamics
  • Applied Statistical Mechanics

Master's candidates are also allowed 6 independent study credits toward the 24/30 credit requirement.

Frequently, students without an undergraduate chemical engineering degree will enroll in the graduate program. To ensure that all students are familiar with the fundamental principles required of chemical engineers, students entering the graduate program with a bachelor's degree in an area other than chemical engineering will be required to take four undergraduate courses—Unit Operations I, II and III, and one of either Reactor Design, Process Control or Process Design. On the recommendation of the Graduate Committee, these requirements can be modified based on each student's specific background. These undergraduate courses do not count toward the total graduate-level credit requirement for the advanced degree. Graduate students may take these courses out of sequence and/or concurrently in order to expedite completion of this requirement.

The Department provides financial aid only for students who have stated the intent of continuing towards the Ph.D. Full time students in the M.S. program are encouraged to continue towards this terminal degree that designates their role as a scholar.

300 Lindy Boggs Center, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, T: 504-865-5772, F: 504-865-6744