shadow_tr

Administrative Positions
Nicholas J. Altiero


1 July 2006 to present:

 Dean

School of Science and Engineering
Tulane University

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the Tulane University Board of Administrators approved “A Plan for Renewal” designed to “ensure the continuing academic ascendancy and financial health of Tulane University.” As a result of this expansive reorganization of the institution, the science departments formerly affiliated with the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences were combined with selected engineering programs to form a new School of Science and Engineering. Dr. Altiero was named Dean of the School of Science and Engineering and given the following charge:

“The university will begin a planning process this spring, led by Dean Nicholas Altiero, to define a new vision for engineering within the context of the School of Science and Engineering and to also build a strong foundation from which Tulane can strategically grow its science and engineering presence in the future.”

On 14 June 2007, Dr. Altiero presented a strategic plan to the Tulane Board of Administrators in which he detailed Vision 2018, a ten year plan for the new School. Implementation of the plan commenced in the 2007-2008 fiscal year.

The School of Science and Engineering, http://tulane.edu/sse/, has experienced dramatic growth to date.  There are currently 119 tenure-stream faculty members, 32 teaching professors, and 16 research professors.  The School offers 14 undergraduate majors that enroll 1750 students and 10 graduate programs that enroll 430 students, 312 of whom are doctoral students.  The School attracts approximately $25M per year in sponsored research and has raised more than $34M in gifts since its inception.


1 June 2000 through 30 June 2006:

Dean

School of Engineering

Tulane University

During this period, the School Of Engineering consisted of ~60 faculty members and enrolled ~700 undergraduate and ~200 graduate students in 5 academic departments.

During Dr. Altiero’s tenure:

  • ABET accreditation of 7 undergraduate degree programs offered by the School were renewed under the new EC 2000 criteria and the undergraduate program in Computer Engineering was accredited for the first time.
  • Nearly $60M in gifts were received and the School's endowment was increased from ~ $15M to over $53M.
  • Contributions to the School’s Annual Fund increased by 60%.
  • Research funding per faculty member from external sources rose by more than 50%.
  • The average combined SAT scores for incoming engineering freshmen rose from 1324 to 1350.
  • Undergraduate participation in summer internship and study abroad programs increased substantially to 60% of graduating seniors reporting at least one summer internship experience and 8% reporting at least one study abroad experience.
  • The enrollment of women increased substantially at all levels leading to a national ranking of #15 in percentage of engineering bachelors degrees awarded to women, #2 in percentage of engineering masters degrees awarded to women, and #1 in percentage of engineering doctoral degrees awarded to women.
  • An extremely strong and engaged external advisory board was established consisting of more than 50 distinguished leaders from industry. External advisory boards were also established for each of the academic departments.

1 January 1998 through 31 May 2000

Chairman

Department of Materials Science and Mechanics
Michigan State University

During this period, the Department of Materials Science and Mechanics consisted of ~20 faculty members and enrolled ~425 undergraduate and ~80 graduate students.  Undergraduate and graduate degrees were offered in Materials Science and Engineering and in Engineering Mechanics.  The Department also administered an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree program in Engineering Arts and offered service courses in engineering mechanics, materials science, and engineering graphic communications.

During Dr. Altiero’s tenure:

  • Accreditation of the Materials Science and Engineering undergraduate program was renewed under the new EC 2000 criteria and the undergraduate program in Engineering Mechanics was accredited for the first time.
  • The Engineering Arts program was completely restructured to include specific interdisciplinary tracks including a Manufacturing Engineering program jointly offered with the College of Business.
  • The Partnership for the Advancement of CAD/CAM/CAE Education (PACE), consisting of General Motors, Unigraphics Solutions, Sun Microsystems, and EDS provided hardware and software valued at $31M for the engineering graphic communications laboratories. This was the first gift of its kind awarded by PACE.

1 September 1990 through 30 June 1998

Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies


College of Engineering
Michigan State University

During this period, the College Of Engineering consisted of ~140 faculty members and enrolled ~4000 undergraduate and ~650 graduate students in 7 academic departments.

During Dr. Altiero’s tenure:

  • Major improvements were made in the operation of the Division of Engineering Research and it was expanded to include offices that facilitated industry partnerships and technology transfer.
  • Improvements were also made in the operation of the Office of Engineering Graduate Studies and it was expanded to include an array of graduate continuing education programs and distance education programs in association with the National Technological University (NTU).
  • Research funding per faculty member from external sources more than doubled over this period and the College was awarded two National Science Foundation centers of excellence: a Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) and a State Industry University Cooperative Research Center (SIUCRC).
  • A new wing was added to the main Engineering Building to house the Dow Institute for Materials Research and the Advanced Materials Engineering Experiment Station was established in Midland, Michigan.
  • A major program, funded by the National Science Foundation and aimed at increasing the number of women and minorities pursuing engineering PhD degrees, was implemented.

Updated: February 2013

School of Science and Engineering, 201 Lindy Boggs Center, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5764 sse@tulane.edu