Suresh C. Sikka, PhD, HCLD
Academic Office - (504) 988-5179
Fax: (504) 988-5059
- Director, Urology Research and Andrology Clinic and Research Laboratories.
- Graduated, B.S. and M.S. in Biochemistry (Honors School, Chardigarh, India); Obtained Doctoral degree in Pharmacology from Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India-1978
- Post Doctoral Fellowships at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India (1978-1979) and University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, California, 1979-1982
- Director of Urology Research Laboratory and Assistant Professor at Harbor - UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, 1982 - 1988.
- Full-time faculty in Urology at Tulane University since December 1988.
- Adjunct Professor in Departments of Pharmacology and Biochemistry at Tulane University
- Faculty member of Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB); Human Genetics, Tulane Cancer Center and Tulane School of Medicine, Xavier Center of Bioenvironmental Research Graduate Program.
- Board Certification, HCLD (Andrology) by American Board of Bioanalysis; and Certification of Clinical Laboratory Scientist-Specialist, Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners - 1995. •Directs CLIA/HCFA certified Andrology laboratory at Tulane University Health Sciences Center.
- Study section reviewer for EPA and other agencies in the area of reproductive toxicology.
- Faculty of sperm morphology workshops at ASA since 2007.
- Expertise in Clinical Diagnosis of Vascular Impotence using Doppler Ultrasound; manual and CASA semen analysis; assisted reproductive techniques in Andrology/Fertility.
- Expert Panel Member on Standardization of Penile Doppler Ultrasound Technology.
- Wrote SOP and panel member at SMSNA special session at the AUA Annual Meeting in San Francisco, 2010.
- Directs basic research projects focused on oxidative stress response elements and signal transduction mechanisms related to Andrological issues in males especially related to bioenvironmental toxicology, infertility, aging, sexual dysfunction and prostate tumorgenesis employing specific in-vivo and in-vitro models.
- Published over 140 peer-reviewed manuscripts, 8 book chapters and more than 280 abstract and special lecture presentations at both the National and International level. Involved in teaching/training of Urology residents, medical students, and research fellows. Reviewer of manuscripts submitted to more than 10 journals. Past editorial board member of Journal of Andrology, Journal of Sexual Medicine, and Frontiers of Bioscience.
- Mentor to graduate students, A.F.U.D. scholars, summer students, and other research fellows for the past 30 years.
- In 1999 set up a unique state-of-the-art standardized semen analysis training program and quality control management in the Tulane Department of Urology that caters to the needs of many pharmaceutical companies for their multicenter clinical trials on drug safety evaluation targeting reproductive toxicology as mandated by the FDA. Dr. Sikka has also set up a Central Reader facility for sperm morphology evaluation for such multicenter studies.
- Certified more than 150 technical personnel throughout the US, Canada, Germany, and South Africa for standardized S/A as required by many major Pharmaceutical companies for drug safety studies.