WHY CHOOSE TULANE UROLOGY FOR YOUR RESIDENCY TRAINING?
Leaders in minimally invasive urologic surgery
- Tulane Urology has a long tradition of providing cutting edge, minimally invasive urologic diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. This traditon continues today.
- The first and most experienced urologic robotic surgical team in the entire Gulf South. Tulane acquired the da Vinci robot in 2002, the da Vinci Si-HD in July of 2009, and has been the go to place for advanced robotic procedures such as: radical prostatectomies, radical cystectomies, robotic partial nephrectomies, robotic pyeloplasties, robotic nephrectomies, and more.
- In 1991, Tulane Urology was the first in the entire Gulf South to introduce urologic laparoscopy and is most advanced and experienced center for not only the basic, but advanced urologic lapaoscopic procedures.
- Since 1982, Tulane Urology has been the destination for percutaneous nephroscopy and related procedures for management of kidney stones, tumors, and urinary track obstructions, such as uretero-pelvic junction obstruction (UPJO).
- Since 1994, Tulane Urology has been at the forefront of providing rigid and flexible uretero-nephroscopic procedures for management of stones, obstructed uropathy, and transitional cell carcinomas of the upper urinary tract.
- Tulane Urology has been early users of YAG and holmium lasers in urology.
Since 1988, Tulane Urology has developed a reputation for management of erectile dysfunction using penile prosthetics. This treatment modality has positioned Tulane as among the leading centers in the country for urologic prosthetic surgery.
The section of Andrology provides the residents with training in microsurgery (mainly vasovasostomy, vasoepididymostomy, etc.).
Tulane Urology is a center for perineal surgery as it relates to radical perineal prostatectomy (for select cases of prostate cancer), perineal urethroplasty procedures for reconstruction of the urinary tract (primarily for trauma victims).
Wide variety of patient care options
- With the combination of private patients at Tulane University Hospitals and Clinics and all up to date technology under one roof; and with the state hospital providing a level-1 trauma center and with the Veteran's Administration Hospital, Tulane Urology provides a broad spectrum of patient care options and thus gives much needed experience during ones residency training.
Cutting Edge Technology
Tulane Urology provides the most current urologic technology, which includes:
- The da Vinci Si-HD robot
- Two fixed ESWL units (Dornier-HM3, Medstone, and the portable Litho-Diamond)
- Holmium Laser
- Lasers for prostatectomy (Revolix and the PVP Greenlight)
- Full range of rigid and flexible cystoscopes, ureteroscopes, and nephroscopes
- Endoscopic fragmentation devices, such as lasers, ultrasonic lithotriptors, and the Cyberwand
- Operating microscope
- State-of-the-art floro-urodynamics
- Fully functional andrology laboratory and semen analysis