Academic Office - (504) 988-2750
Clinic Appointments - (504) 988-2536
Fax: (504) 988-5059
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the College of Arts & Sciences, Cornell University.
- Received his M.D. degree from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1994.
Benjamin R. Lee, MD has extensive experience with minimally invasive approaches to treat renal cell carcinoma, prostate cancer, transitional cell carcinoma, kidney disease, adrenal cortical carcinoma, stricture disease, ureteral pelvic junction obstruction, kidney stones, and BPH.
From his training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital Dr. Lee developed expertise in state of the art techniques of minimally invasive surgery such as Robotic Surgery for prostate cancer and kidney cancer. Dr. Lee utilized these techniques as Director of the Section of Laparoscopy at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center before joining the Tulane faculty.
Dr. Lee’s research has been recognized by awards from the American Urological Association, The Endourological Society and Urology Journal. Additionally, Dr. Lee was elected to the New York Academy of Medicine. He was awarded the prestigious Arthur Smith Award in 2008 for his contributions to the discipline of robotics, laparoscopy, and minimally invasive surgery. His practice focuses on urologic laparoscopy, robotic surgery and endourology. His clinical interests include robotic partial nephrectomy, laparoscopic partial nephrectomy, robotic prostatectomy with bilateral nerve sparing, laparoscopic / robotic nephrectomy, robotic pyeloplasty, cryosurgery and radiofrequency ablation for kidney tumors, and laparoscopic adrenalectomy. Dr. Lee also has developed a single port laparoscopy program at Tulane Medical Center.
Dr. Lee's academic research centers on the development of novel laparoscopic techniques, the physiology of laparoscopy and other minimally invasive techniques.
Appointments and achievements include:
- Co-director of Endourology, Laparoscopy, and Robotic Surgery
- Director - Robotic, Laparoscopy, and Endourology Fellowship
- Editorial Board - Journal of Endourology
- Section Editor - New Techniques in Endourology
- President - LASUS Board of Directors
- SES-AUA, LA Representative
- Website Committee Chairman - Endourological Society
- Organizing Secretary - WCE 2013
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology
- Significant experience in advanced Laparoscopy and Robotics for urologic cancer (prostate cancer, renal cell carcinoma, transitional cell carcinoma)
- Pioneered several innovative surgical techniques and principles
- Authored over 200 manuscripts and abstracts
- Conducts and participates in advanced continuing medical education (CME) activities around the U.S. and the world