Welcome to the Department of Surgery at Tulane University School of Medicine. One of the oldest academic surgical departments in the United States, the historic accomplishments of our faculty and residents are well-known throughout the world. Combining tradition with cutting-edge technology, and the enthusiastic spirit of advancing surgical sciences, the Tulane Department of Surgery is a respected choice for patients seeing the best in comprehensive healthcare, and for fellows, students and residents determined to learn and contribute to the future of surgery.
The Department of Surgery is comprised of eight divisions: General Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Endocrine Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Heart Surgery, Abdominal Organ Transplant (Liver-Kidney-Pancreas), and Trauma and Critical Care Surgery. Within these divisions are multiple sub-specialties as well as initiatives devoted to surgical research and medical education. Our surgeons provide care at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, LA and Tulane Hospital – Lakeside in Metairie, LA, and our residents rotate across facilities located throughout Louisiana in order to gain diverse and exceptional surgical experience.
We are proud of the people who make up our Department of Surgery team, from staff to residents, fellows, and faculty. I invite you to explore our website, and to contact any member of our department should you wish to learn more.
In honor of a medical pioneer please consider contributing to the Norman E. McSwain, Jr., MD Trauma Conference. You will be honoring Dr. McSwain's lifelong dedication to trauma care and education.
It's easy to give! You can give over the phone at 504.314.7380 or on the web at http://tmaa.tulane.edu/mcswain.
Tulane Medical Center is proud to now offer Bariatric Surgery.
- As part of Tulane Health Systems commitment to honor the legacy of Dr. Norman McSwain, a dedication and unveiling ceremony for the McSwain First Responders Clinic was held on Friday, January 29th.
- Dr. Bernard Jaffe, Professor of Surgery Emeritus and Director of the Tulane Global Trauma Education Program, also serves as a mentor of Tulane medical student, Jennifer Farrell, who recently developed an app that saves lives. Click here to read the article.
- 8th Annual Tulane Symposium on Thyroid and Parathyroid Diseases will be held on March 5 – 6, 2016.
Click here for more information!
- The Department of Surgery welcomes our new Research Assistant Professors: Mimi Sammarco, PhD and Zakaria Abd Elmageed, PhD.
- Dr. John "Blair" Hamner, a surgical oncologist, joins the faculty of the Department of Surgery.
- In Memory of Dr Norman E. McSwain, Professor of Surgery, 1937 - 2015
- The Friday Educational Conference schedule has changed. Please go to our Conferences & Meetings page for the new information by clicking here.