Welcome to the Department of Surgery at Tulane University School of Medicine. One of the oldest academic surgical departments in the United States, the historic accomplishments of our faculty and residents are well-known throughout the world. Combining tradition with cutting-edge technology, and the enthusiastic spirit of advancing surgical sciences, the Tulane Department of Surgery is a respected choice for patients seeing the best in comprehensive healthcare, and for fellows, students and residents determined to learn and contribute to the future of surgery.
The Department of Surgery is comprised of eight divisions: General Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Endocrine Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Heart Surgery, Abdominal Organ Transplant (Liver-Kidney-Pancreas), and Trauma and Critical Care Surgery. Within these divisions are multiple sub-specialties as well as initiatives devoted to surgical research and medical education. Our surgeons provide care at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, LA and Tulane Hospital – Lakeside in Metairie, LA, and our residents rotate across facilities located throughout Louisiana in order to gain diverse and exceptional surgical experience.
We are proud of the people who make up our Department of Surgery team, from staff to residents, fellows, and faculty. I invite you to explore our website, and to contact any member of our department should you wish to learn more.
In honor of a medical pioneer please consider contributing to the Norman E. McSwain, Jr., MD Trauma Conference. You will be honoring Dr. McSwain's lifelong dedication to trauma care and education.
It's easy to give, phone 504.314.7380 or on the web http://tmaa.tulane.edu/mcswain
Tulane Medical Center is proud to now offer Bariatric Surgery. Free information session, Dec. 15, 2015, 6:30 - 7:30pm Tulane Hospital, Room 1114.
- Dr. John "Blair" Hamner, a surgical oncologist, joins the faculty of the Department of Surgery.
- In Memory of Dr Norman E. McSwain, Professor of Surgery, 1937 - 2015
- Dr. Peter Meade has accepted the position as Interim Chief of Trauma and Emergency Surgery at Tulane.
- The Friday Educational Conference schedule has changed. Please go to our Conferences & Meetings page for the new information by clicking here.
- Ronald Weigel, MD, PHD, MBA, Chair of the Department of Surgery at Iowa University, was this year's Theodore Drapanas Visiting Professor. He presented "Insights Into The Biology Of Breast Cancer And The Impact On Clinical Care". Dr. Weigel is a Surgical Oncologist with a special focus in Endocrine and Breast Surgery.