This site is maintained and sponsored by the Division of Forensic Neuropsychiatry, a division of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurology of Tulane University Medical School.
Our division is headquartered on the campus of Tulane Medical School in New Orleans, Louisiana, blocks from the French Quarter. Our primary activities include the following:
- We sponsor a Fellowship in Forensic Psychiatry. This is a one-year training program for psychiatrists who have completed a residency in General or Child Psychiatry. The fellowship is accredited by ACGME.
- We provide the psychiatric staff for East Louisiana Mental Health System - Forensic Division (formerly Feliciana Forensic Facility), a JCAHO accredited maximum security hospital that provides inpatient evaluation and treatment of patients for the State of Louisiana.
- We provide psychiatric services for a number of correctional facilities, including Elayn Hunt Correctional Center, Dixon Correctional Institute, and Bridge City Juvenile Detention Facility.
- We provide the psychiatric management of the Forensic Aftercare Clinic of New Orleans, a clinic that treats and monitors individuals who have been conditionally released to the community from court.
- Many of our faculty serve on court sponsored sanity commissions to do competency to stand trial and criminal responsibility assessments for the courts.
- Many of our faculty provide private consultations in a number of areas where psychiatry interfaces with the law, including dangerousness assessments, custody evaluations, independent medical examinations, and other areas of litigation.
For more information about our activities, call 504-988-2201 or e-mail.