Yumei Feng, MD, PhD
Phone: (504) 988-8244
Room #: 4059
MD: Zhejiang University School of Medicine, 1995
PhD: Chongqing University of Medical Sciences, 2005
The focus of my laboratory is to understand the neural mechanisms of hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases. In brief, the renin-angiotensin system (RAS) has been shown to play an important role in blood pressure regulation and cardiovascular function. My interest is focused on the physiological and pathophysiological role of the (pro)renin receptor (PRR, a new component of the RAS) in the brain SFO and PVN and their involvement in the regulation of blood pressure and body fluid homeostasis during the development of hypertension. To achieve our goal, we have developed a PRR conditional knockout mouse (Cre-Loxp strategy) and a neuron-targeted human PRR transgenic mouse model. We have also developed adeno-associated virus coding for PRR or PRR-shRNA to specifically target brain nuclei. These powerful tools combined with our expertise in continuous BP recordings (telemetry), analysis of autonomic function, and metabolic cage study will allow us to dissect the neural mechanisms and signaling of brain PRR in neurogenic hypertension.
- Li W, Peng H, Cao T, Sato R, McDaniels SJ., Kobori H, Navar LG, Feng Y. Brain-targeted (pro)renin receptor knockdown attenuates angiotensin ii-dependent hypertension. Hypertension. Apr. 23. 2012 (Epub ahead of print)
- Xia H, Suda S, Bindom S, Feng Y, Gurley SB, Seth D, Navar LG, Lazartigues E. ACE2-mediated reduction of oxidative stress in the central nervous system is associated with improvement of autonomic function. PLoS One. 2011;6(7):e22682.
- Hans CP, Feng Y, Naura AS, Troxclair D, Zerfaoui M, Siddiqui D, Jihang J, Kim H, Kaye AD, Matrougui K, Lazartigues E, Boulares AH. Opposing roles of PARP-1 in MMP-9 and TIMP-2 expression and mast cell degranulation in dyslipidemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2010; 20(2):e57-68.
- Feng Y, Xia H, Cai Y, Halabi CM, Becker LK, Santos RA, Speth RC, Sigmund CD, Lazartigues E. Brain-selective overexpression of human Angiotensin-converting enzyme type 2 attenuates neurogenic hypertension. Circ Res. 2010 Feb 5;106(2):373-82.
- Feng Y, Xia H, Santos RA, Speth R, Lazartigues E. ACE2: a new target for neurogenic hypertension. Exp Physiol. 2010; 95(5): 601-6. PMCID: PMC2858233
- Xia H, Feng Y, Obr T, Hickman P, Lazartigues E. AT1 receptor-mediated reduction of ACE2 activity in the brain impairs baroreflex function in hypertensive mice. Hypertension. 2009; 53(2):210-6. PMCID: PMC2695598.
- Feng Y, Yue X, Xia H, Bindom S, Hickman P, Filipeanu C, Wu G, Lazartigues E. Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 over-expression in the subfornical organ prevents the angiotensin II-mediated pressor and drinking responses and is associated with angiotensin II type 1 receptor downregulation. Circ Res. 2008; 102(6): 729-36. PMCID: PMC2279097.
Recent Publications: A PubMed listing of research publications for Yumei Feng, M.D, Ph.D.