Andrei V. Derbenev, PhD
Phone: (504) 988-2053
Room #: 4012
PhD: Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Russian Academy of Science,
Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 1999.
Central Neural Control of the Autonomic Nervous System: Using whole-cell patch-clamp electrophysiological techniques combined with calcium imaging, neuro-pharmacological, immunochemical, and molecular biological methods, we are conducting studies to determine the synaptic organization, modulation, and plasticity of neuronal networks involved in central neural control of the autonomic nervous system, including cardiovascular function.
Specific aims of our studies are:
- Synaptic organization of identified kidney-related neurons in the intermediolateral cell column (IML) of the spinal cord and rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) of the brainstem.
- Synaptic organization of the dorsal vagal complex (DVC) of the brainstem.
- Neuro-pharmacology of endocannabinoids and endovanilloids.
- Hong Gao, PhD – Postdoctoral Fellow
- Imran Anwar – Undergraduate Student
- Torrey L. Fourrier – Undergraduate Student
- Alexa Issa, MS – Medical Student, DeBakey Scholar
- D. S. Safwan Majid, BS -- Medical Student, DeBakey Scholar
- Yanyan Jiang, BS -- Graduate Student, Neuroscience
- Zsombok A, Bhaskaran MD, Gao H, Derbenev AV, Smith BN. Functional plasticity of central TRPV1 receptors in brainstem dorsal vagal complex circuits of streptozotocin-treated hyperglycemic mice. J Neurosci. 31:14024-31, 2011.
- Zsombok A, Gao H, Miyata K, Issa A, Derbenev AV. Immunohistochemical localization of transient receptor vanilloid type 1 and insulin receptor substrate 2 and their co-localization with liver-related neurons in the hypothalamus and brainstem. Brain Res. 1398:30-9, 2011.
- Derbenev AV, Duale H, Rabchevsky AG, Smith BN. Electrophysiological characteristics of identified kidney-related neurons in adult rat spinal cord slices. Neurosci Lett. 474:168-72, 2010.
- Derbenev AV, Monroe MJ, Glatzer NR, Smith BN. Vanilloid-mediated heterosynaptic facilitation of inhibitory synaptic input to neurons of the rat dorsal motor nucleus if the vagus. J Neurosci. 26:9666-72, 2006.
Recent Publications: A PubMed listing of research publications for Andrei V. Derbenev, Ph.D.