Prasad VG Katakam, MD PhD
(Andhra University , Visakhapatnam India, 1989)
(Univ of Georgia, Athens GA, 1999)
- Insulin Resistance: Our laboratory has been interested in studying the mechanisms of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular dysfunction in insulin resistance, a condition that precedes the development of diabetes.
- Our laboratory studies coronary, cerebral and mesenteric arteries of Zucker rats, a model of obesity induced insulin resistance. In addition, in order to study the impact of insulin resistance we examine the impairment of vascular responses following experimental heart attack and stroke in Zucker rats.
- Impaired vascular actions of insulin and abnormal mitochondria-mediated vasodilation in insulin resistance are two interesting areas of investigation presently pursued in our laboratory.
- Primarily, we employ isolated artery preparations often combined with laser confocal microscopy. We measure arterial diameter changes in response to various pharmacological probes. In addition, utilizing fluoroprobes, we determine the real-time changes in calcium (Calcium Sparks), nitric oxide, superoxide, membrane potential in live cells (whole cell and mitochondria). We also utilize primary cultures of endothelial cells and neurons and isolated mitochondrial preparations from heart and brain. Functional experiments are supported by the biochemical and molecular biology techniques such as western blotting and PCR.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.,B.S): Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India (1989).
- Master of Science (MS) in Pharmacology: University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia (1995).
- MD: Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1995).
- Clinical Fellowship in Cardiac Rehabilitation: West Roxbury VA Medical Center, Affiliate of Harvard Medical School (1996).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Pharmacology: University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia (1999).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa (1999-2001).
- Research Associate in Electrophysiology: Cardiovascular Sciences, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota (2001-2003).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Instructor: Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina (2010-2011).
- Assistant Professor: Department of Pharmacology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana (2011-present).
Department of Pharmacology SL83, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112-2699. tel 504-988-1426; fax 504-988-5283.
Pubmed listing of Dr. Katakam's research publications.