Thanks to funding from the GE Foundation and support from the Louisiana Public Health Institute School Health Connection, Tulane's Adolescent Medicine Department operates a School Based Health Center within Walter L. Cohen High School.
Our mission is to provide quality comprehensive health care to students, administered by caring professionals. In doing so, we hope to:
- Improve the overall health status of our students
- Promote and support healthy lifestyle choices
- Encourage positive communication between students and their families about health issues
- Reduce risk behaviors that threaten the health of our young people
- Support and contribute to the educational experience
- Reduce absenteeism, suspensions, expulsions, and drop-out rate
- Empower our students to help change their community
The following services are available to all registered Cohen students and other authorized students, with written consent from a parent or guardian, regardless of their insurance status and/or ability to pay:
- Annual exams and sports physicals
- Treatment of minor illnesses and injuries
- Hearing and vision screening
- Routine laboratory testing, including pregnancy testing and screening for infections
- Counseling and mental health services, including individual, group, and family counseling
- Management of chronic illnesses
- Referral and follow-up for more complex problems or emergencies
- Health education
- Nutrition counseling
- Youth development
All patient information, records, and documents are strictly confidential and are not shared with outside institutions without written permission.
Community Advisory Committee
The Community Advisory Committee (CAC) is comprised of several community partners who work with the faculty and staff of Walter L. Cohen High School to increase students' awareness of the clinical services available to them. The CAC also continues to work as advocates for the School Based Health Center.
Youth Advisory Committee
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) is comprised of several Walter L. Cohen High School students who are committed to being healthy role models and advocates for their fellow peers. The YAC serves as the voice of the student body and advises the CAC and the clinic on health topics that are important in their lives. The YAC also works closely with the CAC to organize health outreach events, promote the clinical services to the student body, and appeal to state and local officials for continued funding.
Make an appointment or ask us a question!
Phone: (504) 988-4180
Fax: (504) 988-4185
Department of Pediatrics, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-5456 email@example.com