Head, Renal Pathology
Head, Autopsy Services
Medical School: Javeriana University, Bogota Colombia (1957-1964)
Rosario University, Bogota, Colombia (1965-1968)
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1984-1987)
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (1972)
American Board of Pathology, Anatomic Pathology, 1986
American Board of Pathology, voluntary recertification 1-1-2000
Interactive Renal Pathology Learning Module
Phone: (504) 988-5224
Fax: (504 )988-7389
[For technical information regarding the handling and mailing of a specimen, call Anatomic Pathology, at 504-988-2430.]
Recent Publications or Reports
* Meleg-Smith, S: Alport disease. Nephrology in Internet, CIN 2003 (in Spanish).
* Rivera A., Yosipiv I., El-Dhar S, Meleg-Smith S: Diagnosis of congenital nephrotic syndrome: a clinical and a pathologic challenge. Ped Pathol Mol Med. 22:105-116, 2003.
* Zhang R, Meleg-Smith S, Batuman V: Acute Tubulointestinal Nephritis After Wasp Stings. AM J Jidney Dis E-Edition 38:E33, 2001
* Rivera A, Meleg-Smith S: Value of electron Microscopy in the diagnosis of childhood nephrotic syndrome. Ultrastr Pathol. 25:313-320, 2001
* BatumanV and Meleg-Smith S: Tubulointerstitial diseases of the kidney, E-Medicine, 2001, http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1596.htm
* Meleg-Smith S: Alport disease: a review of the diagnostic difficulties. Ultrastr Pathol. 25:193-200, 2001
Ongoing Activities :
The Renal Pathology Section of the Department of Pathology at Tulane processes biopsies referred by clinicians from a wide variety of medical centers and practices. It is a specialized referral section with state of the art technical support, including light microscopy, immunofluorescence and electron microscopy. Dr. Meleg-Smith knows that clinicians need a prompt answer: she has a preliminary report in 24 hours. By special request, this period can be shortened.
Native Kidney Diseases: Alport disease, IgA Nephropathy
Renal Allograft Diseases: Rejection, Thrombotic Microangiopathy