- North Miami Beach Senior High School, North Miami Beach, FL, class of 1996
- B.A. cum laude in Engineering Sciences from Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2001
- M.D. with Honors in Research from the University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, 2006
Postgraduate Training and Fellowship Appointments:
- Anatomic Pathology Residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2006-2009
- Oncologic Surgical Pathology Fellowship at Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, 2009-2010
- Cytopathology Fellowship at Hahnemann University Hospital/Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 2010-2011
- Diplomate of The American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, 2010
- Diplomate of the American Board of Pathology in Cytopathology, 2011
Awards, Honors, and Memberships in Honor Societies:
- University of Florida Medical Guild Scholarship Award for “Academic Excellence During the First Year of Medical School,” 2002
- Genevra Todd and Henry E. Meleney Memorial Award for “Outstanding Achievement During the First Two Years of Medical School,” 2003
- American Cancer Society’s R.G. Thompson Memorial Summer Research Fellowship, 2004
American Society of Cytopathology Foundation Resident/Fellow Scholarship, 2010
Membership in Professional and Scientific Societies:
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- The United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
- American Society of Cytopathology (ASC)
- Junior Ad Hoc Member of the eJournal Committee, 2011-2012
Recent Publications or Reports:
- Redman R, Massoll N, Zalaznick H, Mazzaferri E. The impact of assessing specimen adequacy and number of needle passes for fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Thyroid 16(1):55-60, 2006
- Jian B, Kimbrell HZ, Sepulveda A, Yu G. Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas: endosonography-guided fine needle aspiration. Diagn Cytopathol. 36(9):662-5, 2008
- Zalaznick H, Massoll N, Redman R, Mazzaferri E. Can papillary thyroid carcinoma bilaterality be predicted? Poster presentation at The American Thyroid Association’s national meeting, Vancouver, BC, 2004.
- Adamski J, Kimbrell HZ, Milone M, Lichtenwalner M, Shaw L, Hellman F. Interpretation of methadone concentration in post-mortem vitreous humor. Oral presentation at the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists 43rd Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, June 2008.
- Kimbrell HZ, Gustafson KS, Huang M, Ehya H. Logical approach to the subclassification of non-small cell lung cancer: selective use of immunocytochemistry in cytology. Submitted for the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology national meeting in March 2011.
- Heintzelman R, Kimbrell HZ, Garcia FU, Chen X. Does Cell Block Quality Need to be Sacrificed for Turn-Around Time? The Impact of Rapid Microwave Processing on Cytomorphologic and Immunohistochemical Characteristics. Poster presentation at the American Society of Cytopathology's national meeting, Baltimore, MD, 2011.