The History of Tulane Ophthalmology
The Beginning of the Eye Department
Dr. Marcus Feingold (1907-25)
The faculty of the Medical School was reorganized in 1907, and the teaching of ophthalmology was assigned to a "Department of Ophthalmology." The first professor of this new department was Dr. Marcus Feingold (1871-1925).
Dr. Feingold, a Rumanian immigrant, served as chairman for 18 years, until his death on December 26, 1925, at the age of 54. He also was chief of ophthalmology at Touro Hospital, a well-known facility. He contributed much to the ocular care of patients, both rich and poor. He was among the first to describe angioid streaks in association with age-related macular degeneration. Dr. Feingold was only 36 when he became chairman in 1907. He gradually enlarged the Eye Department so that by 1923, it contained the following faculty members:
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org