Tulane Stroke Research Program
The Tulane Stroke Research Program participates in National Institutes of Health-funded, industry-sponsored, and investigator initiated clinical trials of acute stroke therapies and modifiable predictors of stroke outcome. Dr. Martin-Schild and
Dr. El Khoury mentor dozens of undergraduate, medical students, and neurology residents in IRB-approved research in stroke.
Representative sample of publications:
- Martin-Schild S, Shaltoni H, Abraham AT, Barreto AD, Hallevi H, Gonzales NR, Illoh K, Grotta JC, and Savitz SI. Safety of eptifibatide for subcortical stroke progression. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2009;28(6);595-600.
- Chernyshev OY, Martin-Schild S, Albright KC, Barreto AD, Misra V, Acosta I, Grotta JC, and Savitz SI. Safety of t-PA in Stroke Mimics and Neuroimaging-Negative Suspected Cerebral Ischemia.Neurology 2010;74:1340-1345.
- Martin-Schild S, Albright KC, Hallevi H, Barreto AD, Philip M, Misra V, Grotta JC, and Savitz SI. Intracerebral hemorrhage in cocaine users. Stroke 2010;41:680-684.
- Martin-Schild S, Albright KC, Tanksley J, Pandav V, Jones E, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Zero on the NIHSS Does NOT Equal the Absence of Stroke. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2011;57(1):42-5, Epub Sep 15 2010.
- Albright KC, Alexandrov A, Howard G, and Martin-Schild S. Is There a Role for Echocardiography in Intracerebral Hemorrhage (ICH)? International Journal of Stroke 2010;5(5):383-4.
- Siegler JE and Martin-Schild S. Early Neurological Deterioration (END) after Stroke: The END Depends on the Definition. International Journal of Stroke 2011;6(3):211-2.
- Esse K, Fossati-Bellani M, Traylor A, and Martin-Schild S. Epidemic of Illicit Drug Use, Mechanisms of Action/Addiction and Stroke as a Health Hazard. Brain and Behavior 2011; 1(1):44-54.
- Jones EM, Albright KC, Fossati-Bellani M, Siegler JE, and Martin-Schild S. Emergency Department Shift Change is Associated with Pneumonia in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke. Stroke 2011;42(11):3226-30.
- Kelley R, DasMahapatra P, Wang Jian, Chen W, Srinivasan SR, Fernandez C, Xu JH, Martin-Schild S, and Berenson GS. Prevalence of Atherosclerotic Plaque Formation in Young and Middle Age Asymptomatic Individuals: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Southern Medical Journal 2011;104(12):803-8.
- Kelley RE and Martin-Schild S. Ischemic Stroke: Emergencies and Management. Neurologic Clinics 2012;30(1):187-210.
- Albright KC, Martin-Schild S, Bockholt HJ, Howard G, Alexandrov A, Alexandrov A, Sline MR, Grotta JC, and Savitz SI. No Consensus on Definition Criteria for Stroke Registry Common Data Elements. Accepted in Cerebrovascular Diseases, September 2011.
- Martin-Schild S. tPA for Stroke – Are We Ready to Remove the Barriers? European Journal of Neurology 2011;19(3):359.
- Siegler JE, Kumar AD, Gillette MA, Boehme AK, Albright KC, Martin-Schild S. What change in the NIH Stroke Scale should define neurological deterioration in acute ischemic stroke? Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, 2012.
- Sarraj A, Medrek S, Albright K, Martin-Schild S, Vahidy F, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Posterior Circulation Stroke is Associated with Prolonged Door-to-Needle Time. Accepted in International Journal of Stroke, June 2012.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Albright KC, and Martin-Schild S. Ethnic disparities trump other risk factors in determining delay to Emergency Department arrival in acute ischemic stroke. Accepted in Ethnicity & Disease, July 2012.
- Kumar AD, Siegler JE, Gillette M, Boehme AK, Albright KC, Martin-Schild S. Leukocytosis in Patients with Neurological Deterioration Following Acute Ischemic Stroke is Associated with Poor Outcomes. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, August 2012.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Kumar AD, Gillette MA, Albright KC, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. Identification of modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors for neurological deterioration following acute ischemic stroke. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, November 2012.
- Shaban A, Albright KC, Boehme AK, Martin-Schild S. Circle of Willis Variants; Part 1. Fetal PCA. Stroke Research and Treatment, vol. 2013, Article ID 105937, 6 pages, 2013. Doi:10.1155/2013/105937.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Dorsey AM, Monlezun D, George A, Shaban A, Bockholt HJ, Albright KC, Martin-Schild S. A Comprehensive Stroke Center Registry: Advantages, Limitations, and Lessons Learned. Medical Student Research Journal (2013) 1 (2):21-9.
- Leung LY, Albright KC, Boehme AK, Tarsia J, Shah KR, Siegler JE, Jones EM, Pletsch GR, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. Short-term Bleeding Events Observed with Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, February 2013.
- Chang TR, Albright KC, Boehme AK, Dorsey A, Sartor EA, Kruse-Jarres R, Leissinger C, Martin-Schild S. Factor VIII in the Setting of Acute Ischemic Stroke Among Patients with Suspected Hypercoagulable State. Accepted in Clinical & Applied Thrombosis and Hemostasis, March 2013.
- Mandava P, Martini S, Albright KC, Boehme AK, Martin-Schild S, Alexandrov AV, Simon RP, McGuire D, Kent TA. Outcomes after tPA in African American Women with Explicit Consideration of Baseline Factors. Accepted in Stroke, March 2013.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Albright KC, Bdeir S, Kar AK, Myers L, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. Acute decrease in serum magnesium level after ischemic stroke may predict decrease in neurologic function. Accepted in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, May 2013.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Albright KC, George AJ, Monlezun DJ, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. A proposal for the classification of etiologies of neurologic deterioration following acute ischemic stroke. Accepted in Journal of Stroke Cerebrovascular Diseases, June 2013.
- Siegler JE and Martin-Schild S. Letter regarding article, “Comparison of risk-scoring systems in predicting symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage after intravenous thrombolysis.” Accepted in Stroke, May 2013.
- Siegler JE, Boehme AK, Fowler BD, George AJ, Monlezun DJ, Albright KC, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. Inpatient rehabilitation centers and concern for increasing volume of ischemic stroke patients requiring rehabilitation. Accepted in Southern Medical Journal, June 2013.
- Boehme AK Kumar AD, Dorsey AM, Siegler JE, Aswani MS, Lyerly MJ, Monlezun DJ, Albright KC, Beasley TM, Martin-Schild S. Infections present on admission compared to hospital acquired infections in acute ischemic stroke patients. Accepted in Journal of Stroke Cerebrovascular Diseases, June 2013.