Students will visit in the home setting as well as see patients in the nursing home setting. Preceptors for the course will include the faculty physicians of Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) and the geriatrics program. Students will be encouraged to follow patients as they transition from the inpatient to the home setting and/or nursing home setting as they recover from an acute illness. Student performance will be evaluated by rating of preceptors.
Course Goals and Objectives
The purpose of this elective is to introduce students to the special needs of the frail older patient. The objectives are:
- to enable the student to see patients in the home and nursing home setting, recognizing the unique strengths of care offered within different models of care for the older adult.
- to enable the student to appreciate how other health professionals (nurses, therapists, dietitians, and social workers) can contribute to the care of the frail older patient in an interdisciplinary setting;
- to help the student appreciate how best to enable an older patient to recover from an acute illness and to manage multiple chronic illnesses within the psychosocial demands and individual expectations of the frail patient;
- to enable the student to appreciate the importance of optimizing function in older patients, rather than just focusing on diseases and their treatment;
- to introduce the student to some of the physiologic changes associated with aging, including the concepts of heterogeneity and loss of homeostatic reserve;
- to introduce the student to some of the geriatric syndromes and conditions, such as dementia, polypharmacy, incontinence, delirium, fall, and altered disease presentation.
Course Director: Dr. Lumie Kawasaki, MD
Office Phone: (504) 988-7518
Fax: (504) 988-8252
Mailing Address: 1430 Tulane Avenue, SL 12, New Orleans, LA 70112
Enrollment: Elective is open to T1s and T2s. 1 student.
Course Time: Schedule will vary to accommodate the schedules of students as well as preceptors in the different settings.
Prerequisite: Permissions of the Instructor
Sessions 3 and 4 (individual sessions or combination of sessions)
1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-5263 email@example.com