Doctorate of Philosophy
Dawn Wesson, Ph.D.
This program is to provide an advanced doctoral-level academic degree and foundation in research methods and research training in Parasitology and Tropical Medicine.
This program is designed for the individual interested in further investigations into tropical infectious disease related problems in academic, government and other organizations.
Ph.D. Application Deadline
Applications to our doctoral programs should be submitted via SOPHAS by our priority deadline of December 1 if you would like to be considered for fellowships and any available student funding. Please note - SOPHAS processing delays are often caused by problems with transcript and GRE verification so we recommend you submit these as soon as possible. Application received after the December 1 deadline will still be reviewed, however, funding support may not be guaranteed.
All applications seeking admission to a Master's or Doctoral program in the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine must apply through SOPHAS, a centralized online application for schools of public health across the United States. Before applying, please be sure to read through the SOPHAS FAQ page regarding the application process and timeline. For more application information, please visit the SPHTM Admissions page.
- Transcripts from all Universities attended
- Written evaluation from three references who have had sufficient contact with the applicant to judge his/her personal qualities and ability to work with others or independently
- Test of English As a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores for applicants from non-English speaking nations with a minimum score of 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer based test, or 88 on the internet-based test. (Send to SOPHAS)
Ph.D. Degree Requirements
- Residency for one year or longer
- Completion of ≥ 72 didactic credit hours (inclusive of credit transferred into the program)
- Successful completion of the Comprehensive Written Examination
- Successful completion of the Comprehensive Oral Examination
- Approval of the Dissertation Prospectus
- Approval by the candidate's Doctoral Studies Committee of the PhD Dissertation for the award of the PhD degree