Preston Marx, PhD
Professor, Department of Tropical Medicine
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
Chair, Division of Micobiology
Tulane National Primate Research Center
18703 Three Rivers Road
Covington, LA 70433
Phone: (504) 862-8040, ext. 6501
Fax: (504) 862-8041
- Simian models for AIDS pathogenesis
- HIV vaccines
- Strategies for preventing HIV transmission to women
- BS, biology, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
- PhD, microbiology, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA
- Post-doctorate, virology, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- 1987 Outstanding Research Achievement Award University of California Davis.
- 1993-present Reviewer (selected list) - Science, Nature, PNAS, Journal of Virology, Vaccines, AIDS Research & Human Retroviruses, AIDS Journal, Nature Medicine
- 1994-2001 Member, Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center & Head of AIDS Animal Models Laboratory at TRPRC-Tulane University Medical Center, Covington, LA
- 1998-2001 Member AIDS and Related Diseases Study Section NIAID
- 1998-2001 Executive advisory board, Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- 1998-present Core Scientist, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Tulane National Primate Research Center, Division of Microbiology and Immunology, Covington, LA
- 2000-2004 AIDS Research Advisory Committee (ARAC), NIH, NIAID, Bethesda, MD
- 2005-present Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Medical Primatology
Gautam R, Gaufin T, Butler I, Gautam A, Barnes M, Mandell D, Pattison M, Tatum C, Macfarland J, Monjure C, Marx PA, Pandrea I, Apetrei C. SIVrcm, a unique CCR2-tropic virus, selectively depletes memory CD4+ T cells in pigtailed macaques through expanded coreceptor usage in vivo. J Virol. 2009 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]
Gautam R, Carter AC, Katz N, Butler IF, Barnes M, Hasegawa A, Ratterree M, Silvestri G, Marx PA, Hirsch VM, Pandrea I, Apetrei C. In vitro characterization of primary SIVsmm isolates belonging to different lineages. Virology 2007; 362(2):257-70.
Apetrei, C., N.W. Lerche, I. Pandrea, B. Gormus, G. Silvestri, A. Kaur, D.L. Robertson, J.M. Hardcastle, A.A. Lackner and P.A. Marx. Kuru experiments triggered the emergence of pathogenic SIVmac. AIDS 2006; 20(3):317-321.
Apetrei, C., J. Becker, M. Metzger, R. Gautam, J. Engle, A.K. Wales, M. Eyong, P. Enyong, B.T. Foley, E. Drucker, and P.A. Marx. Potential for HIV transmission through unsafe injections. AIDS 2006; 20:1074-1076.
Apetrei Cristian, Michael J. Metzger, David Richardson, Binhua Ling, Paul T. Telfer, Patricia Reed, David L. Robertson, Preston A. Marx Detection and Partial Characterization of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus SIVsm Starins From Bush Meat Samples from Rural Sierra Leone. Journal of Virology 2005; 79:2631-2636.
Traina-Dorge, Vicki L., R. Lorino, B. Gormus, M. Metzger, P. Telfer, D. Richardson, D.L. Robertson, P.A. Marx, C. Apetrei. Molecular epidemiology of simian T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 in wild and captive sooty mangabeys. Journal of Virology 2005; 79:2541-2548.
Marx, Preston A. Unsolved questions over the origin of HIV and AIDS. ASM News 2005; 71:15-20.
Level of Instruction:
[View all Tropical Medicine faculty]