Maureen Lichtveld, MD
Freeport McMoRan Chair of Environmental Policy
Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2100
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-7904
Fax: (504) 988-1726
Environmental health policy; community-based participatory health disparities research; disaster preparedness; health systems
- 2005 CDC Special Act Award
- 2005-present Freeport McMoRan Chair of Environmental Policy
- 2006-present Robert Wood Johnson Foundation advisory board member
- 2008 Herbert Nickens Award for promoting research in cancer prevention benefiting minorities and the medically underserved.
- 2008 Association of American Medical Colleges: senior advisor on panel establishing national competencies for Schools of Medicine and Public Health on cultural competence
- 2009 Commencement address University of Suriname: "Public health in Suriname-Tracing the Past, Living the Present, Painting the Future"
- 2009 Chair, Environmental and Occupational Health Council, Association of Schools of Public Health
- 2010 Chair, Science Board, American Public health Association
- 2010 Member Planning Committee and presenter, IOM workshops on the Gulf of Mexico Oil spill
- 2010 Chair, human health workgroup of the National Science and Technology Council's Joint Subcommittee on Ocean Science and Technology Principal Investigator's conference to address to the address the impact of the Gulf of Mexico Oil spill
- 2010 Chair, Diversity Committee, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- 2011 Chair, Board of the National Public Health Leadership Society
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene & Public Health, Environmental Health Sciences
- MD, University of Suriname (formerly Dutch Guyana)
Grimsley LF, Chulada PC, Kennedy S, White L, Wildfire J, Cohn RD, Mitchell H, Thornton E, El-Dahr J, Mvula MM, Sterling Y, Martin WJ, Stephens KU, Lichtveld M. Indoor environmental exposures for children with asthma enrolled in the HEAL study, post-Katrina New Orleans. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Nov;120(11):1600-6.
Grimsley LF, Wildfire J, Lichtveld M, Kennedy S, El-Dahr JM, Chulada PC, Cohn R, Mitchell H, Thornton E, Mvula M, Sterling Y, Martin W, Stephens K, White L. Few Associations Found between Mold and Other Allergen Concentrations in the Home versus Skin Sensitivity from Children with Asthma after Hurricane Katrina in the Head-Off Environmental Asthma in Louisiana Study. Int J Pediatr. 2012;2012:427358. Epub 2012 Dec 6.
Indoor Environmental Exposures for Children with Asthma Enrolled in the HEAL Study, Post-Katrina New Orleans. Grimsley LF, Chulada PC, Kennedy S, White L, Wildfire J, Cohn RD, Mitchell H, Thornton E, El-Dahr J, Mvula MM, Sterling Y, Martin WJ, Stephens KU, Lichtveld M. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Aug 9.
Khan OA, Liu K, Lichtveld MY, Bancroft EA. Synergism of science and social justice. Am J Public Health. 2012 Mar; 102(3):388-9. Epub 2012 Jan 19.
Price RG, Wedeen R, Lichtveld MY, et al. Urinary Biomarkers: Roles in Risk Assessment to Environmental and Occupational Nephrotoxins; Monitoring of Effects and Evaluation of Mechanisms of Toxicity. Renal Failure, Vol 21, Numbers 3 & 4.
Lichtveld MY, Au W, Falk H. Guest editors. Special Issue on Evaluation of Health Hazards in Communities Exposed to Environmental Toxicants." International Journal of Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology, 2000. Vol 2, No. 2-3: 216 pp.
Baker EL, Jr. White LE, Lichtveld MY. Reducing Health Disparities Through Community-Based Research. Public Health Reports. 116(6), 2001.
Williams RC, Lichtveld MY, et al. Communities at the Center: In Response to Community Concerns at Hazardous Waste Sites. Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology, Vol 2, numbers 2-3: 56-66. The publication received the U.S. Public Health Service Eighth Annual Engineering Literary Award in 2002
Baker EL, Potter MA, Jones DL, Mercer SL, Cioffi JP, Green LW, Halverson PK, Lichtveld MY, Fleming DW. The Public Health Infrastructure and Our Nation's Health. Annu.Rev.Public Health. 2005.26:303-318.
Defining and Working with Susceptible Populations. Environmental Public Health Impacts of Disasters. Hurricane Katrina. Lichtveld MY. Institute of Medicine. The National Academies Press. 58- 61. 2007
Benedict I. Truman, MD, MPH, Timothy Tinker, DrPH, MPH, Elaine Vaughan, PhD, Bryan K. Kapella, MD, MS, Marta Brenden, MSW, Celine V. Woznica, DrPH, Elena Rios, MD, MSPH, Maureen Lichtveld, MD, MPH. Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response in Immigrants and Refugees. AJPH. May 2009
Barbeau, DN, Grimsley, FL, White, LE, El-Dahr, JM, and Lichtveld, M. 2009. Mold Exposure and Health Effects Following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Annual Review of Public Health.
Edward L. Baker MD,MPH, Maureen Y. Lichtveld, MD,MPH, Pia D.M. MacDonald, PhD, MPH. The Centers for Public health preparedness Program: From Vision to Reality. Public Health Reports.2010 suppl. 5.Vol.125
Lichtveld MY. Education for Environmental Protection: Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities for USEPA's Environmental Education Program. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment16. 1242-1248.2010
- IOM 2010 a. Assessing the Effects of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill on Human Health. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press
- IOM 2010b. Review of the Proposal for the Gulf Long-Term Follow-Up Study: Highlights from the September 2010 Workshop: Workshop Report. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press
Goldstein B, Osofsky H, Lichtveld M. The Gulf Oil Spill. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011. Accepted
Level of Instruction:
[View all EHS faculty]