Maureen Y. Lichtveld, MD, MPH
Professor and Chair
Freeport McMoRan Chair of Environmental Policy
Associate Director Population Sciences, Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium
Director GROWH Research Consortium
Director, Center for Gulf Coast Environmental Health Research, Leadership and Strategic Initiative
President, Hispanic-Serving Health Professions Schools
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences
1440 Canal Street, suite 2100
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
Environmentally-induced disease including asthma and cancer, health disparities, environmental health policy, disaster preparedness, and public health systems.
- 2015 Member, Health Disparities Subcommittee, Advisory Committee to the CDC Director
- 2015 Chair, Editorial Board, American Journal of Public Health
- 2015 National Academy of science-Institute of Medicine Roundtable on Environmental Health Sciences, Research, and Medicine
- 2014 President, Hispanic Serving Health Professions Schools
- 2014 Presenter NAS Gulf Research Program health and workforce expert workshops
- 2013 Woman of the Year, City of New Orleans
- 2013 Member, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Scientific Advisory Board
- 2012 Member, C-Change Board of Directors
- 2010 Chair, Diversity Committee, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- 2010 Member Planning Committee and presenter, IOM workshops on the Gulf of Mexico Oil spill
- 2010 Chair, Science Board, American Public health Association
- 2009 Commencement address University of Suriname: "Public health in Suriname-Tracing the Past, Living the Present, Painting the Future"
- 2008 Association of American Medical Colleges: senior advisor on panel establishing national competencies for Schools of Medicine and Public Health on cultural competence
- 2008 Herbert Nickens Award for promoting research in cancer prevention benefiting minorities and the medically underserved.
- 2005-present Freeport McMoRan Chair of Environmental Policy
- 2005 CDC Special Act Award
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene & Public Health, Environmental Health Sciences
- MD, University of Suriname (formerly Dutch Guyana)
Hamer, D, Jessurun, AER, Hindori, M, Codrington, J, Roosblad, J, and Lichtveld, M. (2015). A Retrospective Analysis of Dengue Cases in Suriname: Implications for Treatment and Prevention in a Lower Middle Income Country (LMIC). International Journal of Tropical Disease and Health, 7 (4):132-143. DOI: 10.9734/IJTDH/2015/17487
Juarez, PD, Matthew-Juarez, P, Hood, DB, Im, W, Levine, RS, Kilbourne, BJ, and Lichtveld, MY, (2014). The Public Health Exposome: A Population-Based, Exposure Science Approach to Health Disparities Research. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11(12), 12866-12895
David M. Abramson, Lynn M. Grattan, Brian Mayer, Craig E. Colten, Farah A. Arosemena, Ariane Bedimo-Rung, and Maureen Lichtveld. (2014). The Resilience Activation Framework: A conceptual model of how access to social resources promotes adaptation and rapid recovery in post-disaster settings. Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research 1-16.
Langston, MA, Levine, RS, Kilbourne, BJ, Rogers, GL, Kershenbaum, AD, Baktash, SH, Coughling, SS, Saxton, AM, Agboto, V, Hood, DB, Lichtveld, MY, et al. (2014). Scalable combinatorial tools for health disparities research. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11(10), 10419-10443.
Lichtveld, MY, and Arosemena, FA. (2014). Resilience in the Aftermath of The Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill: An Academic-Community Partnership to Improve Health Education, Social Support, Access to Care, and Disaster Preparedness. In International Oil Spill Conference Proceedings (Vol. 2014, No. 1, pp. 156-169). American Petroleum Institute.
Bernard D. Goldstein, Eric Baumgartner, Leslie M. Beitsch, Stephen Bradberry, Ayanna Buckner, Joseph Kimbrell, Jennifer Langhinrichsen-Rohling, Maureen Lichtveld, Howard J Osofsky, Joy Osofsky, J. Steven Picou, Timothy A. Rehner, Glenn E. Rohrer. (2014). Public Health Resilience in a Disaster Prone Area: The Gulf Region Health Outreach Program (GRHOP). Solutions.
David M. Abramson, Lynn M. Grttan, Brian Mayer, Craig E. Colten, Farah A. Arosemena, Ariane Bedimo-Rung, and Maureen Y. Lichtveld. (2013). Applying the Principles of Patient Naviagtion and Embedding the RHAD Toolkit within the Disaster Management Workforce to Address Health Inequalities. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
Farah A. Arosemena, Laila Fox, Amy Fothergill, Patricia Davis, Maureen Y. Lichtveld. (2013). Applying the Principles of Patient Navigation and Embedding the RHAD Toolkit within the Disaster Management Workforce to Address Health Inequalities. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
L. Faye Grimsley, Patricia C. Chulada, Suzanne Kennedy, LuAnn E. White, Jeremy Wildfire, Richard D. Cohn, Herman Mitchell, Eleanor Thornton, Jane M. El-Dahr, Mosanda M. Mvula, Yvonne M. Sterling, William J. Martin II, Kevin U. Stephens, Sr., Maureen Y. Lichtveld. (2012). Indoor Environmental Exposures for Children with Asthma in Post- Katrina New Orleans. Environmental Health Perspectives.
Patricia C. Chulada, Suzanne Kennedy, Mosanda M. Mvula, Katy Jaffee, Jeremy Wildfire, Eleanor Thornton, Richard D. Cohn, L. Faye Grimsley, Herman Mitchell, Jane M. El-Dahr, Yvonne M. Sterling, William J. Martin II, LuAnn E. White, Kevin U. Stephens, Sr., Maureen Y. Lichtveld. (2012). The Head-off Environmental Asthma in Louisiana (HEAL) Study—Design, Methods, and Study Population.Environmental Health Perspectives.
Goldstein B, Osofsky H, and Lichtveld M. (2011). The Gulf Oil Spill. New England Journal of Medicine. 364; 14 April 7, 2011.
Lichtveld MY. (2010). Education for Environmental Protection: Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities for USEPA's Environmental Education Program. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. 16. 1242-1248.
Lichtveld, MY. (2009). Making Cultural Competence Work for Cancer Prevention: Fact of Fiction. Journal of Cancer Education. Volume 24 Supplement 2, S20
Barbeau, DN, Grimsley, FL, White, LE, El-Dahr, JM, and Lichtveld, M. (2009). Mold Exposure and Health Effect Following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Annual Review of Public Health.
Level of Instruction:
[View all EHS faculty]