Aubrey S. Madkour, PhD
Department of Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2300
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-1127
Fax: (504) 988-3540
Adolescent sexual and reproductive health; adolescent dating violence; adolescent substance use; social determinants of health; social epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Maternal and Child Health, Minor in Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009
- M.A. in Social Service Administration, The University of Chicago, 1999
- B.S. in Human Development and Psychological Services, Northwestern University, 1997
- 2010-present Faculty Fellow, Newcomb College Institute, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- 2010-2012 NIH Loan Repayment Program Recipient, National Institutes of Health
- 2009 Student Research Award, American Public Health Association Epidemiology Section
- 2009 Theta Chapter induction, Delta Omega Honor Society in Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2008 Susan P. Baker Research Paper Prize, Injury Prevention Research Center, University North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2008 Travel grant; The Graduate School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2006-09 Population Health Traineeship (NICHD T32 NRSA); Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2006 NIH Summer Intramural Traineeship; Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD
- 2005-06 MCH Epidemiology Traineeship (NICHD T32 NRSA); Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
- CHSC 6470 Issues in Adolescent Health
- CHSC 8750 Social Determinants of Health I: Concepts, Theories and Interventions
Madkour AS, Harville EW, Xie Y. Neighborhood Disadvantage, Racial Concentration and the Birthweight of Infants Born to Adolescent Mothers. Matern Child Health J. 2013 Jun 15.
Parker KM, Rice J, Gustat J, Ruley J, Spriggs A, Johnson C. Effect of Bike Lane Infrastructure Improvements on Ridership in One New Orleans Neighborhood. Ann Behav Med. 2013 Jan 19.
Madkour AS, Farhat T, Halpern CT, Gabhainn SN, Godeau E. Parents' support and knowledge of their daughters' lives, and females' early sexual initiation in nine European countries. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012 Sep;44(3):167-75.
Madkour AS, Ledford EC, Andersen L, Johnson CC. Tobacco advertising/promotions and adolescents' smoking risk in Northern Africa. Tob Control. 2013 Jan 8.
Harville EW, Madkour AS, Xie Y. Predictors of birth weight and gestational age among adolescents. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Oct 1;176 Suppl 7:S150-63.
Madkour AS, Ledford EC, Andersen L, Johnson CJ. Exposure to tobacco advertising/promotions and adolescents' smoking risk in Northern Africa. Tobacco Control (In Press).
Harville EW, Madkour AS, Xie Y. Predictors of preterm birth and low birthweight among adolescents. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012;176(7):S150-163.
Madkour AS, Farhat T, Halpern CT, Gabhainn SN, Godeau E. Parents' support and knowledge of their daughters' lives, and females' early sexual initiation in nine European countries. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012 Sep;44(3):167-75. doi: 10.1363/4416712. Epub 2012 Jul 5.
Spriggs AL, Halpern CT, Herring AH, Schoenbach VJ. Family and school socioeconomic disadvantage: Interactive influences on adolescent dating violence victimization. Social Science and Medicine. 2009;68(11):1956-1965. PMCID: PMC2840622.
Spriggs AL, Halpern CT, Martin SL. Continuity of adolescent and early adult partner violence victimization: Association with witnessing violent crime in adolescence. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2009;63:741-748. PMCID: PMC2727565.
Halpern CT, Spriggs AL, Martin SL, Kupper L. Continuity and predictors of intimate partner violence victimization from adolescence to young adulthood in a nationally representative sample. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009;45(5):508-516. PMCID: PMC2727565.
Madkour AS, Martin SL, Halpern CT, Schoenbach VJ. Area disadvantage and intimate partner homicide: An ecological analysis of North Carolina counties, 2004-2006. Violence and Victims. 2010; 25(3):363-377 PMCID: PMC2891556.
Madkour AS, Farhat T, Halpern CT, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E. Early adolescent sexual initiation and physical/psychological symptoms: A comparative analysis of five nations. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. 2010;39(10):1211-1225. NIHMSID 196460.
Madkour AS, Farhat T, Halpern CT, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E. Early adolescent sexual initiation as a problem behavior: A comparative analysis of five nations. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2010;47(4): 389-398. NIHMSID 179381.
Madkour AS, Johnson CC, Clum GA, Brown L. 2011. Disaster and youth violence: the experience of school-attending youth in new orleans. J Adolesc Health. Aug;49(2):213-5. [PubMed - in process]
My research interests lie in the social/contextual determinants of adolescent health. In one line of research, I explore the impact of Hurricane Katrina on child and adolescent health in New Orleans, particularly on violence, family separation, and child health status. In a second line of research, I examine national-level variability in the correlates of various adolescent health behaviors. Current studies in progress include investigations of behavioral, familial and social normative correlates of early sexual initiation using data from the U.S. and European nations; also, examinations of social environmental correlates of adolescents' cigarette smoking and obesity risk using data from MENA countries. In my last line of research, I investigate adolescent fertility, specifically evaluating an online program to reduce unintentional pregnancy among 18-19 year old women in New Orleans, and exploring multilevel determinants of birth outcomes among U.S. adolescent mothers.
Level of Instruction:
[ View all Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences Faculty ]