Carl Kendall, PhD
Director of Center for Global Health Equity
Department of Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2300
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-2334
Fax: (504) 988-3540
Medical anthropology; health disparities and neglected diseases; qualitative research; monitoring and evaluation; HIV/AIDS
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, 2006-
- Member, Institute of Medicine, Board of Global Health, December 2007 - September 2008
- Member, Border Health Research Advisory Group U.S. - Mexico Border Health Commission, September 2007-8
- Invited Panelist, La revue Humanitaire, Paris, à La Maison des Associations du 18ème arrondissement 15, passage Ramey 75 018 Paris, May 31, 2007
- Invited Panelist, The World Federation of Public Health Associations and the Brazilian Association of Post Graduate Education in Collective Health/ABRASCO annual meeting, August 21-25, 2006
- 2002-2007 (annually) Distinction in Research Awards, Tulane University
- 2002-2005 Acting Chair, Department of International Health and Development, Tulane University
- 2005-present Executive Committee, Partnership for the Transformation of Urban Communities, Tulane University
- 2005-present Executive Board, Payson Center for International Development and Technology, Tulane University
- PhD, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- MA, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- BA, Swarthmore College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Kerr, LR, Cavalcante, MS, Kendall, C, Machado, MM, Dourado, MI, Galvao, MT, Disparities in Mother-to-Child Transmission in Northeast Brazil: regional failures within successful country programs. AIDS Care (in print)
Johnston LG, Whitehead S, Simic M, Kendall, C. Formative research to optimize Respondent Driven Sampling surveys among hard to reach populations in HIV behavioral and biological surveillance: Lessons learned from four case studies. AIDS Care. 2010 Jun;22(6):784-92
XVIII International AIDS Conference Poster: Transvestites in Northeast Brazil: high vulnerability to HIV infection , R. Gondim, T. Martins, L. Kerr, H. Macena, R. Mota, K. Carneiro, C. Kendall,
XVIII International AIDS Conference Oral Abstract Presentation: MSM in Brazil: baseline national data for prevalence of HIV" Ligia Kerr, Carl Kendall et. al.
XVIII International AIDS Electronic Conference Poster: Disparities in Mother-to-Child Transmission in Northeast Brazil: regional failures within successful country programs Ligia Kerr, Carl Kendall et. al.
XVIII International AIDS Electronic Conference Poster: Children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in one of the poorest region of Brazil, Ines Dourado, Ligia Kerr, Carl Kendall.
Johnston, LG, O'Bra H; Chopra M; Mathews C; Townsend L; Sabin K; Tomlinson M; Kendall C. The associations of voluntary counseling and testing acceptance and the perceived likelihood of being HIV-infected among men with multiple sex partners in a South African township. AIDS Behav 2010;14(4):922-31
Johnston LG, Holman A, Dahoma M, Miller LA, Mussa M, Othman AA, Kim Evelyn, Kim, Andrea, Kendall C, Sabin K. High Prevalence of Injection Drug Use among Men who have Sex with Men and the association of HIV, Hepatitis and sexual risk factors in Zanzibar (Unguja), Tanzania. International Journal of Drug Policy. , 2010 Nov;21(6):485-92. Epub 2010 Jul 16.
Level of Instruction:
[ View all Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences Faculty ]