The application consists of the following components:
- Curriculum Vitae or resume.
- Two letters of reference. Individuals providing a letter of reference may send directly to Michele Mervis via email or should place it in a sealed envelope, sign across the flap, and mail or hand-deliver it to the appropriate institutional contact listed below. The letter of reference form below is not required for use but is available as a template, if needed.
- Statement of purpose - The statement of purpose is a critical part of the application and should include:
- Why you want to conduct research abroad and how it will further your specific academic goals.
- Your specific career objectives and how they relate to international study/research.
- How you will apply your study abroad experience to your academic work upon returning to your home institution.
- Why you feel particularly suited or qualified to pursue this program of study.
Once you have accessed the forms, please save them to your computer so that you can complete them and provide them to the MHIRT program staff.
Letter of Reference Form
Statement of Purpose
A copy of your official academic transcript may also be required to verify a GPA of 3.0 or higher. However, in most cases GPA information can be confirmed internally by MHIRT program staff.
Each part of the application is important, and the application will not be reviewed unless all parts are submitted and received. The application deadline for the 2013 training session is Friday, February 8th. Applicant data and statement of purpose forms should be submitted via e-mail to Michele Mervis. Letters of reference and other requested documents, if applicable, should be delivered by email, postal mail, or by hand to the appropriate institutional contact listed below.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2430
New Orleans, LA 70112
Elliott Hammer, PhD
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Psychology
Xavier University of Louisiana
1 Drexel Drive, Box 115
New Orleans, LA 70125
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of Applicants
Each application will be reviewed by a multi-disciplinary panel to include representatives from Tulane and Xavier Universities, as well as U.S. and overseas mentors. The following criteria will be used by the review panel to evaluate applications:
- Specific objectives of the applicant and how these may be met by the program.
- Academic record and potential to succeed.
- Maturity and flexibility, as demonstrated by letters of reference, the student's statement of purpose, and interviews with student candidates.
- Expected impact of participation on future academic and career goals
Individual interviews with applicants selected for further consideration will be scheduled at a later date.