Master's Degree Requirements
A candidate for the professional master's degree (MPH, MSPH and MPH&TM), must complete a minimum of 42 - 45 credits.
Core requirements: All professional degree students must fulfill the school-wide core requirements. No student may graduate without fulfilling all of the core requirements:
1. Achieve the competencies in the public health core areas. This is partially fulfilled by successfully completing all of the core courses:
- BIOS 6030 Introductory Biostatistics (3)
- GEHS 6030 Survey of Environmental Health (3)
- EPID 6030 Epidemiologic Methods (3)
- GHSD 6030 Introduction to Health Systems, Management and Policy (3)
- GCHB 6030 Social and Behavioral Aspects of Global Health (3)
- TRMD 6010 Biological Basis of Disease (3)
2. Complete a practicum (minimum 200 hours) to gain practical experience in the field.
3. Complete a culminating experience that integrates the core public health knowledge and skills acquired through course work and the application of principles in practice settings.
Program requirements: Each program also has defined requirement that must be successfully completed for the degree. The practicum and culminating experience are tailored to the degree program.
Seventy-five percent of the total degree requirements must be completed at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.