Brian Gille Architects in association with NOLA + Design (Landscape)
The historic Newcomb Dean's residence was designed and built in 1908 by Paul Andry, the architect of Tulane University's earliest buildings. The Italianate villa was intended to be the architect's own home and later became the home of Newcomb's President, Brandt V.B. Dixon, who lived there until 1919. In 1938 Tulane's Board of Administrators designated the house as the residence of the Dean of Newcomb College. Today it serves as the home of the H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College Institute.
The Newcomb College Institute Phase II Improvements was a two part project. Part A consisted of construction of an ADA compliant terrace and ramp on the north/quad side of the NCI sunroom. There was previously no connection between the French doors of the sunroom to the exterior on this side of the house. The terrace and ramp will connect the raised house to the garden and to other paths and points on campus. Part B consisted of the removal of the existing wood deck, which has deteriorated since its construction approximately 20 years ago, and construction of a new at-grade patio connecting the house to the garden, to the adjacent Cassatt Courtyard, and to the pathway to Newcomb Place. Both the terrace and the patio are meant to accommodate the many indoor and outdoor events hosted by the Newcomb College Institute.
The Cudd Patio dedication took place on November 21, 2011. You can read more at the Tulane New Wave.
1315 Broadway Street, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-862-8129 email@example.com