When decorating for the holidays in your work areas, please keep in mind the following University policy to maintain fire safe conditions and comply with all applicable codes as enforced by the State Fire Marshal:
1. For fire safety reasons, only use artificial, flame-retardant, non-conductive trees with the
2. Trees or decorations must not obstruct or reduce the width of corridors or exits.
3. The use of lit candles are prohibited unless the specific application is submitted in writing to OEHS and approved as in the case of a religious ceremony.
4. No more than three (3) Underwriter’s Laboratories (U.L.) listed miniature light sets may
be used to decorate approved trees. Turn off lights when the area is unoccupied, i.e.,
nights, weekends, and holidays.
5. Extension cords are discouraged. However, if used for this temporary purpose, then only
one cord is to be used. It must be appropriately sized and U.L. approved. It must not
create a trip hazard and must not be placed through concealed spaces, doorways, or
windows subject to closure.
6. Flame-retardant, non-breakable decorations are recommended. Furnishings or
decorations of a highly combustible, flammable or explosive character may not be used
for any type of display.
7. Decorations must not be hung from smoke detectors, automatic sprinkler heads, or
pipes, or in any way that obstructs the visibility of exits or EXIT signs. In buildings
equipped with automatic sprinkler systems, no combustible decorations are allowed
within 18 inches of the sprinkler heads.
For questions regarding this policy, contact OEHS – Downtown at 988-2447 or 988-3996, OEHS – Uptown at 865-5307 or OEHS – TNPRC at extension 6653. Have a safe and happy holiday season.
OEHS, 1430 Tulane Ave., TW-16, New Orleans, LA 70112 | 504-988-5486 | firstname.lastname@example.org