- Ether is an extremely volatile liquid which requires special considerations in handling and usage; it deteriorates with age and may become an explosive.
- Cans of ether should be dated when opened; after 6 months the unused ether should be inspected to ensure that the container is in good shape and no explosive peroxides have formed. Never discard waste ether into the plumbing systems.
- In order to avoid the accumulation of "old" ether, it should be purchased in quantities which will be readily used.
- Opened containers of ether should be stored in an approved refrigerator if available or kept in a flammable liquid storage cabinet.
- As with other flammable liquids, work with ether should be conducted in a chemical fume hood, away from heat and sources of ignition.