1. Ether is an extremely volatile liquid which requires special considerations in handling and
usage; it deteriorates with age and may become an explosive.
2. Cans of ether should be dated when opened; after 6 months the unused ether should be
inspected to ensure that the container is in good shape and no explosive peroxides have
formed. Never discard waste ether into the plumbing systems.
3. In order to avoid the accumulation of "old" ether, it should be purchased in quantities which will
be readily used.
4. Opened containers of ether should be stored in an approved refrigerator if available or kept in a
flammable liquid storage cabinet.
5. As with other flammable liquids, work with ether should be conducted in a chemical fume hood,
away from heat and sources of ignition.
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 email@example.com