September 29, 2006
On Oct. 6, the Gallier House Museum, a Victorian mansion located at 1132 Royal Street in the French Quarter, will transfer from Tulane University into the direct ownership of The Woman's Exchange. Gallier House was designed by New Orleans architect James Gallier, Jr. to be his own private residence in the mid-1800s.
It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1974 and was opened to the public as an historic house museum by the Ella West Freeman Foundation. It operated under the auspices of the Foundation until 1986, when ownership and operation was transferred to Tulane University.
In 1996, The Woman's Exchange acquired Gallier House Museum from the university on a contractual basis. The contract with Tulane extended over a ten year period and there were a number of "conditions of donation" The Exchange was obligated to fulfill. After meeting all the conditions of the contract, and successfully operating Gallier House Museum for a decade, full ownership of the Gallier property will pass to The Exchange this year.
This year also marks the 125th anniversary year of The Exchange. Established in April of 1881, it is the oldest women-owned and operated non profit in the south. Originally established as a human services organization to help women after the Civil War, The Exchange has evolved into one of the leading historic preservation and interpretation organizations in the country.
For more information visit http://www.hgghh.org/
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org