May 1, 1998
It's a Fact!
The Rudolph Matas Medical Library
History: The origin of the Tulane Medical Library dates from the founding of the Medical College of Louisiana (now Tulane University School of Medicine) in 1834. In 1895, Rudolph Matas began his ongoing efforts to support the library, devoting much of his energy and fortune to the expansion of its collections and services. The library was named in his honor in 1937. Today, the library is the primary resource library of the Tulane School of Medicine, the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the Tulane Regional Primate Center.
Location: Second and mezzanine floors of the Hutchinson and Burthe-Cottam buildings
Privileges: Everyone in the Tulane community, but undergraduates are not allowed to check out journals.
Staff: 7 professional librarians; 12 support staff Hours: M/Th, 8 am./11 p.m.; F, 8 a.m./9 p.m.; Sat., 9 a.m./5 p.m.; Sun., 11 a.m./11 p.m.
Volumes: More than 165,000 volumes in the basic sciences, clinical medicine and public health. The library receives approximately 950 journal titles annually.
Oldest volume in the collection: Augerii Ferrerii Liber de diebus decretriis secundum Pythagoricam doctrinam, London, 1549. (The library does not circulate any of its materials older than 1913.)
Most used reference book: Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary
Special collections: The library is especially rich in history of medicine materials: Southern medical Americana; local medical history, biography and portraiture; women in medicine; and surgery in war. The library also houses the archives of the Tulane University School of Medicine.
Computers: 45 computers are available to medical and public health students.
Bronze doors: The bronze doors on permanent display in the library are the original doors from the old, main entrance to the medical school's Hutchinson Memorial Building on Tulane Avenue. The pair are extremely ornate, weighing more 300 pounds each. They were designed by Douglas Freret of Favrot and Livaudais Architects and erected in 1930. When the entrance was closed in 1960, the doors were dismounted and were remounted in the library in 1981.
Source: Bill Postell, director, Rudolph Matas Medical Library; http://www.tulane.edu/~matas
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 email@example.com