September 19, 2013 1:00 PM
Photo from Tulane University Archives
Led by professor Levi Wilkinson, a group of Tulane University students plants sugarcane on the uptown campus, c. 1900–10. Wilkinson was a professor of industrial chemistry and taught in the College of Technology. At the time, Tulane offered a degree in sugar chemistry. In the background is Walter Blessey Hall, which was built in 1894 as one of the campus' four original buildings. It now houses the earth and environmental sciences department.
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 email@example.com