August 29, 2011 5:43 AM
On-campus living is one of the great college experiences that all students should have. But moving from a cushy room at home to a shared room on campus may take some adjustment. To help with the transition, The Insider offers seven tips to make your room appear larger.
These tips are courtesy of Emily O’Daniel, a Tulane senior majoring in marketing and finance who also is a style adviser for Dormify.com. The Rockville, Md., native says, “Decorating is more of a hobby for me than a future career plan. I would love to work in graphic design or public relations. Decorating is more of a way to express my creativity.”
Here are Emily’s tips:
1. Under-bed storage drawers: Store little objects that would otherwise create clutter in your room without taking up too much space.
2. Throw pillows: Your bed will look so much bigger and nicer.
3. Ottoman: Not only can this be used as storage, it can be used for seating and as a step stool!
4. Play off the height of the room: Place posters high on your wall. My roommate and I hung Christmas lights along the top of our room, which made it really cozy!
5. Patterned curtains: Use these to cover the opening to your closet and block the view of all your clothes. Even if your closet is organized, lots of clothes shoved into a small space looks cluttered.
6. Rug: Cover that plain dorm floor! If you put it between your bed and your roommate’s, the room will look so much wider.
7. Wall decals: Dress up your room!
Have you got news for The Insider? Email today!
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org