The Newcomb College Institute aims to connect undergraduate women to a wide range of experiential learning opportunities that focus on women or gender. Our Summer Internship Program offers competitive grants of up to $2,000 to support undergraduate women in internship positions that focus on women or gender.
Please attend one of the following information sessions at the NCI House, 7025 Freret St., to learn more about our internship funding opportunities:
Monday, February 22nd at 4pm
Monday, February 29th at 4pm
- Thursday, March 10th at 4pm
- Wednesday, March 16th at 4pm
If you cannot attend any but are interested in applying, you must schedule a meeting with Program Coordinator, Betsy Lopez. Please e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting time.
If you are a Newcomb Scholar and would like to learn more about internship opportunities, please attend a special information session on Wednesday, March 2 at 4pm at the NCI House. Newcomb Scholars, please see the last section on this page called “Newcomb Scholars Internships” to see internship funding options available to you.
Student must be a currently enrolled, woman-identified, undergraduate student, and be in good standing at Tulane University to be eligible to apply.
Be enrolled in classes the fall semester after their internship is completed.
Attend an information session on the Newcomb College Institute Summer Internship Program and/or attend a one-on-one meeting with Betsy Lopez.
Submit an NCI application and interview with Betsy Lopez.
- Interview and be accepted by an eligible internship site. Click here for a listing of internship opportunities at placement sites. You can also e-mail Betsy to set up a time to discuss identifying potential internship placements.
Agree to NCI's terms of funding
Applications are open now through March 31, 2016 at 4 pm. Unless you are a Newcomb Scholar, please download this application and budget worksheet to complete. If you are a Newcomb Scholar, please download and complete this application and budget worksheet. Once you have finished all required application pieces, please submit your application via e-mail to Betsy Lopez at email@example.com following the directions detailed in the application. Please reach out to Betsy if you have application questions.
Directions for downloading application and ensuring information will save properly: When you click the application, a tab will open with the application. You must first click the save button and save the application to your computer. Only type information into the application you have saved on your computer. Follow the same process for the budget worksheet.
- Internship position or organization must have demonstrated women’s or gender focus
- Internships should be for as much of the summer as possible: Ideally, students will work a 240-hour minimum—6 weeks at 40 hours/week. Internships for less time will be considered for funding, but this may affect amount awarded.
- Internship site must provide professional, full-time supervision for student (your supervisor cannot be a family member or a volunteer at the organization).
- Internships must pay $1,500 or less for the 6 week term.
Newcomb College Institute Internship grants are competitive. The Student Leadership and Engagement Team at the Newcomb College Institute will evaluate all applications after March 31, with final approval given by the Executive Director. A competitive application is one that successfully demonstrates the applicant’s understanding of the link between her goals, past experiences, and the opportunities afforded by the women/gender-focused internship in question. Consideration is also given to applicant’s financial need and whether or not she could complete the internship without funding.
NCI offers competitive internship grants of up to $2,000, which can include travel and/or housing expenses.
Travel: Based on an applicant’s budget worksheet (completed in application), NCI may cover relocation costs for travel to and from the city in which the internship is located and/or costs of the daily commute to and from an internship site. Grantees are responsible for booking travel. Grantees must submit all receipts to NCI.
Housing: Based on an applicant’s budget worksheet (completed in application), NCI may allocate funding to housing during an internship. Grantees are responsible for securing temporary housing. Grantees must submit all receipts to NCI. Funding cannot be allocated to a student’s year-round housing arrangements.
Costs not covered:
- Food/meals: These are costs you would incur whether or not you accepted this internship.
- Clothing: It is the student’s responsibility to procure appropriate attire for their internship.
- Lost Wages: the Newcomb College Institute does not provide a wage on behalf of any organization or company.
- Electronics/Equipment: Funding for equipment and supplies needed for internship will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Newcomb College Institute does not fund course fees or tuition costs—this affects a student’s financial aid package.
- NCI does not fund program fees or tuition costs for formal study/research abroad programs
- NCI does not fund fee-based volunteer programs
- NCI does not fund internships or research for which academic credit may be received, such as research leading to Honors Thesis or independent study
- Permanent Living Costs: NCI will not fund a partial amount of permanent or long-term housing agreements. Example: We will not fund the three-month summer portion of a student’s personal 12-month lease.
- Other expenses outside the purview of the internship program: Newcomb College Institute reserves the right to deny funding of any expenses it deems outside the purview of the Internship Funding program.
Terms and Conditions:
Awards are not transferable to internships not approved by NCI.
If selected to be a part of the Newcomb College Institute Summer Internship Cohort you must:
Other Funding Sources:
- Attend a mandatory pre-internship meeting (date and time TBD).
- Complete a W-9 and all funding acceptance paperwork BEFORE starting internship.
- Submit guided entries on the Newcomb College Institute’s Summer Internship Blog.
- Participate in a performance review(s) with primary supervisor, to be returned to the Newcomb College Institute.
- Complete internship video calls with Betsy Lopez. NCI will work to coordinate intern visits with notable alumnae in the area.
- Respond to all e-mail and phone communication with NCI and Internship Supervisor in a timely and respectable manner.
- Participate, if asked, in presentation of internship experience at a Fridays at Newcomb, Homecoming Open House, CELT internship panel, etc.
- Be a good representative for Tulane University and the Newcomb College Institute.
The Newcomb College Institute encourages applicants to apply to multiple sources of funding to meet their needs. However, Newcomb College Institute works closely with other on-campus entities to prevent duplicate funding. Please report applications for other sources of funding in your budget. Failure to do so may result in loss of funds.
Newcomb Scholars Internships:
NCI can fund Newcomb Scholars up to $3,000 for housing and travel expenses for a full-time summer internship. Scholars can apply to NCI for funding to be an intern at any site that offers full-time unpaid positions, or full-time positions that pay less than $1,500, for at least 6 weeks. Scholars will complete all the objectives listed above in the section called “Terms and Conditions.” Scholars are encouraged to talk with Betsy Lopez early in their spring semester if they want assistance in finding an internship placement. Applications are open now through March 31, 2016 at 4 PM. Please download and complete this application and budget worksheet. Once you have finished all required application pieces, please submit your application via e-mail to Betsy Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org following the directions detailed in the application. Please reach out to Betsy if you have application questions.
For questions or to set up an appointment to discuss internship opportunities, please contact Betsy Lopez at email@example.com.