David Shoemaker, Ph.D.
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1996, Philosophy.
M.A., University of California, Irvine, 1993, Philosophy.
B.A., Houghton College, Houghton, New York, 1985, Philosophy.
Department of Philosophy
New Orleans Workshop on Agency and Responsibility (NOWAR)
Phil Papers editor, Persons
Co-founder and Co-editor, PEA Soup
- Personal Identity and Ethics
- Agency and Responsibility
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Applied Ethics/Biomedical Ethics
- Moral Psychology
- Responsibility from the Margins (forthcoming, Oxford University Press)
- Knowledge, Nature, and Norms: An Introduction to Philosophy, a text and reader written and edited with Mark Timmons (Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning, 2009).
- Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction, (Ontario, Canada: Broadview Press, 2009).
- Oxford Studies in Agency and Responsibility, Vol. 1 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013), edited.
- Oxford Studies in Agency and Responsibility, Vol. 2 (OUP), co-edited with Neal Tognazzini.
Selected Articles (link to all of David Shoemaker's papers at PhilPapers):
- "Huck vs. JoJo: The Moral Ignorance (A)symmetry," with David Faraci, forthcoming in Oxford Studies in Experimental Philosophy
- "Ecumenical Attributability," forthcoming in Randolph Clarke, Michael McKenna, and Angela Smith, The Nature of Responsibility (OUP)
- "Remnants of Character," forthcoming in Justin D'Arms and Daniel Jacobson, Moral Psychology and Human Agency (Oxford University Press)
- "The Stony Metaphysical Heart of Animalism," forthcoming in Stephan Blatti and Paul Snowdon, Essays on Animalism (Oxford University Press)
- "Qualities of Will," Social Philosophy & Policy 30 (2013): 95-120
- "On Criminal and Moral Responsibility," in Mark Timmons, ed., Oxford Studies in Normative Ethics 3 (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- "Blame and Punishment," in Justin Coates and Neal Tognazzini, eds., Blame: Its Nature and Norms (Oxford University Press, 2012)
- "Attributability, Answerability, and Accountability: Toward a Wider Theory of Moral Responsibility," Ethics 121 (2011): 602-632.
- "Personal Identity and Ethics," The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (March 2008), Edward N. Zalta, ed.
- "Moral Address, Moral Responsibility, and the Boundaries of the Moral Community," Ethics 118 (October 2007): 70-108.
- "Personal Identity and Practical Concerns," Mind 116 (April 2007): 317-357.
- "Caring, Identification, and Agency," Ethics 114 (October 2003): 88-118