David Shoemaker, Ph.D.
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1996, Philosophy.
M.A., University of California, Irvine, 1993, Philosophy.
B.A., Houghton College, Houghton, New York, 1985, Philosophy.
Department of Philosophy
New Orleans Workshop on Agency and Responsibility (NOWAR)
Phil Papers editor, Persons
Co-editor, PEA Soup
- Personal Identity and Ethics
- Agency and Responsibility
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Applied Ethics/Biomedical Ethics
- Moral Psychology
- Knowledge, Nature, and Norms: An Introduction to Philosophy, a text and reader written and edited with Mark Timmons (Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning, 2009).
- Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction, (Ontario, Canada: Broadview Press, 2009).
- "Psychopathy, Responsibility, and the Moral/Conventional Distinction," forthcoming in The Southern Journal of Philosophy, The Spindel Supplement to Volume 49 (2011).
- "Attributability, Answerability, and Accountability: Toward a Wider Theory of Moral Responsibility," Ethics 121 (2011): 602-632.
- "Moral Responsibility and the Self," Oxford Handbook of the Self, ed. by Shaun Gallagher (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011).
- "Personal Identity and Ethics," The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (March 2008), Edward N. Zalta, ed., link
- "Moral Address, Moral Responsibility, and the Boundaries of the Moral Community," Ethics 118 (October 2007): 70-108.
- "Personal Identity and Practical Concerns," Mind 116 (April 2007): 317-357.
- "Caring, Identification, and Agency," Ethics 114 (October 2003): 88-118