Jonathan Riley, D.Phil.
BA Queens University, Kingston (1973)
D.Phil. Oxford University (1983)
Department of Philosophy
The Murphy Institute of Political Economy
108 Tilton Hall
- Utilitarian Ethics
- Rational Choice Theory
- Liberal Utilitarianism: Social Choice Theory and J.S. Mill's Philosophy (Cambridge, 1988)
- Mill on Liberty (Routledge, 1998)
- Mill's Radical Liberalism: An Essay in retrieval (Routledge, 2002).
- J. S. Mill's Principles of Political Economy (Oxford, 1999)
- Constitutional Culture and Democratic Rule, with J. Ferejohn and J. Rakova (Cambridge, 2001)
- "Interpreting Mill's Qualitative Hedonism," The Philosophical Quarterly 53 (July 2003): 412-418
- "J.S. Mill's Liberal Utilitarian Doctrine of Free Speech," forthcoming in Utilitas.
- "Defending Cultural Pluralism Within Liberal Limits", Political Theory 30 (2002), 68-96.
- "Welfare (philosophical aspects)," in N.J. Smelser and P.B. Bates, gen. eds., International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences , 25 vols. Amsterdam: Elsevier, (2002)
- "Interpreting Berlin's Liberalism", American Political Science Review 95 (2001), 283-296.
- "Constitutional Democracy as a Two-Stage Game", in J. Ferejohn, J. Rakove and J. Riley, eds., Constitutional Culture and Democratic Rule. (Cambridge, 2001) 147- 69.
- "Defending Rule Utilitarianism", in B. Hooker, E. Mason and D. Miller, eds., Morality, Rules and Consequences. (Edinburgh, 2000) 40-70.