WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
- DOWNTOWN CAMPUS: If you become trapped in an elevator pick up the elevator phone. An elevator maintenance company will automatically be contacted and dispatched to your location to release you from the elevator.
- OTHER CAMPUSES: If you become trapped in an elevator use the elevator phone or a cell phone to call the Tulane Police emergency line. Tulane Police Emergency Numbers are:
- Tulane National Primate Center Police emergency: 985-871-6411
- Tulane Uptown Campus Police emergency: 504-865-5200, or pick-up the nearest emergency blue-light phone.
- Other Campuses: Call 911
- Tell the TUPD dispatcher your name and that you are stuck in an elevator.
- Give the TUPD dispatcher the name of the building.
- Tell the dispatcher which elevator you are in and how many people are with you.
- If the phone in the elevator does not work, push the “Emergency” or “Bell” button until you hear acknowledgment that help is on the way.
- Do not attempt to exit the elevator if the doors open and you are between floors, unless instructed to do so by emergency personnel. The elevator could move, endangering your life.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
- Facilities Services and an elevator maintenance contractor will respond and allow safe exit from the elevator.
- TUPD will immediately dispatch officers to the scene.
- TUPD Dispatch will activate the Tulane Facilities Services, NO Fire Department, Tulane EMS and NO EMS, as necessary.
- TUPD will establish on-scene command and coordinate all responding agencies.
⇐ back to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES