WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
- If you receive a bomb threat via phone call, listen carefully and write down everything that is said, starting with the exact time of the call. And the number you are receiving the call from if it is available.
- Keep the caller talking as long as possible and ask the following questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- If yes, why did you place the bomb?
- While on the phone with the bomb threat caller, have someone else nearby call the Tulane Police on a land line, if possible. Tulane Police Emergency Numbers are:
- Tulane National Primate Center Police emergency: 985-871-6411
- Tulane Downtown Campus Police emergency: 504-988-5555
- Tulane Uptown Campus Police emergency: 504-865-5200, or pick-up the nearest emergency blue-light phone.
- Other Campuses: Call 911
- Attempt to determine the following characteristics of the caller and write them down:
- Is the caller male or female?
- Does the caller have an accent?
- Is the caller calm, angry, excited, laughing, or crying?
- Is there background noise (street noise, music, house noises, voices, machines)?
- IMMEDIATELY after the call contact TUPD and relay the information received from the threatening caller.
- Give the TUPD Dispatcher your name and location.
- Wait for a TUPD Officer to arrive, if possible. Leave the area if you feel there is an imminent threat.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
IMPORTANT NOTE: If a bomb threat is received on the day that an exam is scheduled, the exam will take place the same day even if the location has to be changed.
- TUPD will IMMEDIATELY dispatch officers to search for the device.
- TUPD Dispatch will activate the NOPD.
- Responding officers will instruct building occupants to turn off any electronic devices including cell phones.
- The threatened building(s) will be evacuated if necessary by TUPD.
- The Tulane emergency alert system will be activated with information & instructions to stay away from the affected building.
- NOPD will assume control of the scene and address the incident.
- An “all clear” message will be issued once the situation has returned to normal.
⇐ back to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES