Gulf Restoration Network
541 Julia Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
Directions To Agency:
Primary Phone: 504-525-1528 ext 204
Primary Agency Contact
Name: Raleigh Hoke
Phone:504-525-1528 ext. 204
Agency type: Non Profit
Beginning date for service:09/04/2009
worker's compensation insurance.
Agency has a need for additional volunteers.
We utilize student interns and volunteers to help campaign staff organize community outreach events and coordinate campaign tactics in order to maximize resources and effectiveness.
We have extensive experience working with students to best utilize their time to ensure that their participation in our campaigns is productive for both parties. Some interns with our organization have gone on to start up student groups on campus and move into full-time staff positions.
The Gulf Restoration Network is committed to uniting and empowering people to protect and restore the natural resources of the Gulf Region.
We are playing a pivotal role in providing our members and partners with the technical information, Gulf-wide networking opportunities, and communication that empowers local communities to successfully address the environmental threats that they face.
Division Mission Statements
- Fisheries The GRN advocates sustainable fisheries management through catch levels based on sound science, the protection of habitats essential to healthy marine fish populations, and the assessment and minimization of incidental killing of marine life in the process of catching a target species (bycatch). The GRN accomplishes these tasks through direct advocacy and education.
- Healthy Waters The Gulf Restoration Network works to protect and restore waters throughout the Gulf of Mexico that are critical to recreation, fisheries, wildlife habitat, and drinking water. The GRN is working to end water pollution problems through a multi-faceted approach that includes public education, empowerment of citizen groups, technical review of government policies, and legal action when necessary.
- Oil & Gas Accountability Some call the Gulf our nation’s energy coast, while others call it the nation’s energy sacrifice zone. It is undeniable that the Eastern Gulf has shouldered damaging and environmentally careless energy development in the past, and is the primary domestic target area for new development. From liquefied natural gas terminals to oil & gas drilling in the outer continental shelf, the Gulf bears a heavy burden. But the burden does bring benefits, from economic activity to the fantastic fishing around offshore rigs.
The Gulf region is well aware of the true environmental costs associated with the world’s reliance on oil & gas: the devastation of Louisiana’s coastal wetlands, oil spills, refinery pollution, sea level rise, and increasingly intense hurricane seasons.
- Wetlands The GRN works to protect wetlands from reckless development, destructive logging practices, and harmful U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects and policies. By fighting Army Corps of Engineers projects, reviewing permit applications to destroy wetlands, advocating for coastal restoration, and providing technical assistance to citizen groups, the GRN is working hard to protect Gulf wetlands.
Populations Served by Agency
- All populations
- Communities throughout the Gulf Region
Topics Of Interest for this agency
- Affordable, Sustainable Energy
- Civic Engagement
- Climate Change
- Community Building
- Community Organizing
- Community Organizing
- Economic Development
- Environment and Disaster Recovery
- Public Policy
- Urban/Community Development and Urban Planning
Public Service Needs
- Develop a new database or contribute content to an existing database
- Create a map identifying the location of information of interest
- Organize an outreach event
- Distribute outreach material
- Develop publicity material
- Develop a new website or contribute content to an existing webpage
Resource Needs for this agency
- Connect our members to developments on national and regional issues of importance to their work
- Provide coordination, when needed, of member activities across the region
- Provide technical support and mentoring to grassroots groups
- Public education and outreach on environmental conserv ation issues specific to the Gulf of Mexico
Public Service ActivitiesError in custom script module