English as a Second Language Program- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans
8326 Apricot Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
Directions To Agency:
Primary Phone: 504-861-6348
Primary Agency Contact
Name: Tessa Wheelock Kiesow
Agency type: Non Profit
Agency hours:Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm
Beginning date for service:08/01/2009
worker's compensation insurance.
Agency has a need for additional volunteers.
HACS ESL program uses Service Learners as Teacher's Assistants and Tutors to help our students gain confidence and practice their English skills, both written and orally.
Service Learners and community volunteers will have the opportunity to get to know adults from other cultures, build meaningful relationships as a teacher and mentor, and gain valuable intercultural communication skills.
Respecting the dignity and potential of each human person, Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans collaborates with the wider community to serve those in need. We offer life-giving programs, advocate for the voiceless, and empower the poor and vulnerable to foster a more just society.
Division Mission Statements
- Adult Education Program The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program works to help adult immigrants become more independent and integral members of our society, by providing not only academic instruction but fostering cultural awareness and building community between immigrants of multiple nationalities.
- Adult English as a Second Language
Populations Served by Agency
- Adult Learners
- English as a Second Language
- Low Income
- Non-Native English Speakers
- Non-Native English Speakers/Immigrants
Topics Of Interest for this agency
- Cultural Studies: African
- Cultural Studies: Asian
- Cultural Studies: Latin American
- Immigration Law and Policy, Condition of local immigrant community
- Increase motivation levels of under-resourced students
- Literacy and Mathematics Workshops
- Networking with educational agencies and non-profits
Public Service Needs
- Provide direct service to clients
- Record inventories
- Practice language skills with adult English learners
- Provide administrative assistance
- Distribute outreach material
- Tutor adults in one-to-one setting
- Tutor adults in small group setting
- Coordinate Vols.
Resource Needs for this agency
- Cross cultural networking, education and communication
- Cultural motivation and enrichment
- Literacy Instruction and Mentorship
- Public Safety Education