Emergency Assistance Program

Tulane University has contracted with International SOS to offer each student studying abroad the highest possible level of medical, personal, travel and security advice and assistance, as well as access to online information for up-to-date travel conditions and other important information.

The following is a brief outline of benefits provided under the International SOS Program:

Medical Assistance:  Includes referral to a doctor or medical specialist, medical monitoring when you are hospitalized, emergency medical evacuation to an adequate facility, medically necessary repatriation, and return of mortal remains.

Personal Assistance: Includes pre-trip medical referral information, embassy and consular information,  emergency information*, lost document assistance*, emergency message transmission, emergency cash advance*, referral to a lawyer*, translator/interpreter access*, medical benefits verification and medical claims assistance*. (*indicates while on a trip).

Travel Assistance: Includes emergency travel arrangements, return of traveling companions/dependents, and return of vehicle.

Security Assistance: Includes evacuation when personal security is threatened by any political instability or civil unrest to a safe location at the earliest reasonably possible time. If evacuation is not reasonably possible, regular contact can be maintained until the threat to personal security is abated or evacuation becomes reasonably possible.


To get your International SOS card, to learn more about the program, or to review important medical and safety information about the country to which you are traveling, go to  and log in information that is used for your Tulane email account.  (Your international SOS member number is 11BSGC00034.) You can also visit the International SOS website for more information.


HTH Worldwide Insurance Program

All students participating in Tulane Study Abroad programs are required to have health insurance while abroad. This requirement can be met by either (a) enrolling in the Tulane University Student Health Insurance Plan, (b) supplying evidence of another health insurance policy which will cover the student while abroad, or (c)  enrolling in the HTH Worldwide Insurance Program. To enroll in the HTH Worldwide Insurance Program, contact the Office of Study Abroad through the Center for Global Education at 504.865.5339 or

For a summary of the benefits provided through the HTH Worldwide Insurance Program, as well as information on costs and policy exclusions, click here for weekly benefit information and click here for monthly benefit information. if you need more information, please contact the Office of Insurance & Risk Management at 504.865.5653 or visit the HTH Worldwide website.


Personal Property Insurance

Personal property insurance for students, faculty and staff covering worldwide on broad conditions is available at reasonable premiums and deductibles as low as $25 at Coverage can include items owned by the department as well as personal property of the traveler.

Internet Resources

It is highly recommended that all persons planning to travel abroad visit the U.S. State Department's web site. The State Department site lists official warnings about travel to particular countries and it includes background information of which students should be aware before traveling abroad. Check out the Section titled Travel Information for Students in the Special Interest Section . It also includes information on what kind of support travelers can expect from local country consular offices in the event of an emergency.

Also check out the American Embassy websites of the countries you plan to visit before you depart. It is a good idea to register with the American Embassy or Consulate so that they will be able to keep you informed and provide assistance in the event a crisis occurs while you are there.

Check out these other websites that you may find useful:

Hotspots (free daily intelligence briefing of relevant world events)

Travelers' Health, U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Institute of International Education- Study Abroad portal

International Student

Study Abroad

And don't forget to visit Tulane's Center for Global Education website.


Other General Information

It is important to know and to be aware of local customs and problem areas before you depart. It is also important to always let someone know where you are going and when you are due to return and to avoid traveling alone.

If you rent a car, you will need local insurance that can be purchased from the rental agency because your U.S. automobile insurance will not cover you outside of the United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada. You should be aware that many foreign automobile insurance policies exclude liability coverage if the driver does not have a valid drivers' license or if the driver is intoxicated or presumed to be intoxicated.  Also, because many foreign countries do not recognize U.S. drivers' licenses, an International Driving Permit is highly recommended if you plan to drive abroad (most countries accept an IDP). Before your departure, you can obtain an IDP through either of  the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State, AAA (American Automobile Association) or National Auto Club. You can apply online or at a local office.



Office of Insurance & Risk Management, 324 Gibson Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5653