The NOLA Breastfeeding Support Program
The New Orleans Louisiana Breastfeeding Support Program (NOLA BSP):
- Seeks to inform employers in New Orleans about the federal law that supports breastfeeding employees
- Freely assists employers in complying with the law by providing them with information and tools to establish workplace lactation programs.
What do we provide to employers? Depending on the needs of the employer, any of the below:
- Guidance through an assessment of the business' physical and policy environment and workforace demographics
- Examples of how other similar businesses have complied with the law in terms of a lactation space and policy on break time
- Materials and equipment to put into a lactation space or referals for where to get equipment
- Guidance on how to advertise and easily evaluate a lactation program
- Presentations to employees (especially pregnant and/or breastfeeding employees) about breastfeeding and working
What does lactation support consist of?
The two supports that are required by law are place and time, but a comprehensive plan includes the five components depicted below. Putting into place any of these supports, however, is greatly encouraged! Sometimes, it takes one step at a time!