Mission of Academic Services
Green Wave student-athlete academic services complement Tulane University’s mission by being committed to recognizing academic counseling as being a critical component of the educational experience of our student-athletes. The duty of academic counseling for student-athletes at Tulane is to assist students as they develop meaningful educational plans to help them achieve their life goals, ultimately including, but not limited, to college graduation.
The primary concerns of this department are the academic, personal and professional development of our student-athletes, and their ability to function and be successful in the university setting.
It is our purpose to significantly and positively influence student-athletes through:
- Providing information regarding our services during the recruiting process.
- Discussing goals and plans during the pre-college orientation period to assure that all student-athlete schedules are appropriate.
- Clarifying life and career goals.
- Developing sound academic attitudes and practices that will enable the student-athlete to be an autonomous, self-regulated learner.
- Interpreting institutional requirements.
- Interpreting NCAA requirements.
- Providing information and access to institutional support services.
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism
- Mentoring through professional relationships that provoke integrity, responsibility and healthy lifestyle through dialogue and by example.
- Facilitating student-athlete graduation.
Mission of Tutors
The mission of this department will be executed through:
- Integrity, pride and strict adherence to the rules set forth by the athletics department.
- Acting in a professional manner, including attire.
- The separation of unprofessional relationships.
- Discipline and punctuality.
Mission of Athletics
The mission of the Tulane University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is to support the university's purpose of enriching the capacity to think, to learn and to act and lead with integrity and wisdom by providing our student-athletes and staff with opportunities for competitive success and personal growth within the context of sportsmanship, teamwork and integrity.
Toward this mission, we commit to the following principles:
- To recognize participation in athletics as an integral part of the educational process.
- To provide student-athletes and staff with the best possible facilities, services and equipment.
- To promote the physical, intellectual and emotional development of all student-athletes.
- To create an environment which fosters the concepts of teamwork, scholarship, sportsmanship, leadership, loyalty and integrity.
- To operate in a fiscally responsible manner, providing opportunities within the limitations of resources.
- To commit to diversity and the equitable and non-discriminatory treatment of all student-athletes and staff.