NCAA, Tulane Host Fruit Tree Planting at Grow Dat Youth Farm

March 23, 2012

Keith Brannon
Phone: 504-862-8789

*** Media Advisory ***


During NCAA® Final Four® week, Tulane University and the NCAA will help make New Orleans a healthier and more sustainable community by providing 64 blackberry bushes and infrastructure for a new fruit orchard for Grow Dat Youth Farm, a community project that teaches high school students from diverse backgrounds how to grow and sell fresh produce.

More than 30 eighth graders from Langston Hughes Academy will join Tulane student-athletes in planting citrus trees on the farm’s new four-acre home in City Park.


Scott Cowen, Tulane University president
Bernard Franklin, NCAA executive vice president & chief inclusion officer
Elizabeth Clay Roy, Opportunity Nation deputy director
Johanna Gilligan, Grow Dat Youth Farm co-director
30 Eighth graders from Langston Hughes Academy
20 Tulane University student-athletes


9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.,Thursday, March 29


Grow Dat Youth Farm, 150 Zachary Taylor Dr., New Orleans, La.


The project will – literally – bear fruit by supporting leadership and job training for young people in the community and by supplying delicious, locally grown fresh produce for the people of New Orleans for years to come. Grow Dat Youth Farm creates a healthy and supportive work environment for New Orleans high school students facing limited job opportunities.

The farm enhances leadership and teamwork abilities through the collaborative work of growing food.  Students sell 60 percent of the farm’s output at local markets and donate the other 40 percent to those in need in their community.

Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000